My Little Pocketbooks: Review: Soulless   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Monday, September 9, 2013

Review: Soulless


Soulless
Author:  Gail Carriger
Genre:  Steampunk, Paranormal, Historical Fiction
Publisher: Orbit
Release Date: October 1, 2009
Paperback: 384 pages
Series: The Parasol Protectorate (Book 1) 

Source:  Purchased last year at Passion and Prose Conference
Buy the Book: Amazon
Book Description
Alexia Tarabotti is laboring under a great many social tribulations. First, she has no soul. Second, she's a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead. Third, she was rudely attacked by a vampire, breaking all standards of social etiquette.
Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire -- and then the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate.
With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? Finally, who is the real enemy, and do they have treacle tart?
SOULLESS is the first book of the Parasol Protectorate series: a comedy of manners set in Victorian London, full of werewolves, vampires, dirigibles, and tea-drinking.
Review
I purchased this book last February at the Passion and Prose conference in Long Beach, Ca. where I meet Gail Carriger and she signed the book for me too!  Why did it take me so long to get to this book?  I have no idea!  Everyone else has read it.  Let me be the first to say "Shame on me!"  I should have been done with the series by now.
Soulless is about a soulless spinster, Alexia Tarabotti who accidentally kills an attacking vampire.  Yes!  I said soulless as in without a soul.  This is England and vampires, ghost and werewolves are apart of normal society with laws and societal rules governing them all.   The accident causes Alexia to get involved in an few deadly and uncomfortable situations.  
What's the deal with Alexia's soulless state?  She was born without a soul and people born without a soul (preternatural) have the ability to cancel out others powers by touch.  Vampire to regular person.  Werewolf to regular person.  Ghost?  Not sure it didn't happen in the book so I am not sure if they become regular people too.  Anyways, soulless people have to be registered with the BUR (a government agency that keeps track of the supernaturals in England) and Alexis is not.  Her mom does not even know.  Humm!  
I really enjoyed the fun, comical, light heard characters in this book.  Gail Carriger wrote each one of them extremely well.  
This book has a bit of Cinderella in it too, which makes it so hilarious.  
So why four stars and not five?  Well, I have to say, if a character ask a question two or three times... shouldn't an author answer it somewhere, some how.  "What' up with all the octopus motive everywhere?"   How are you just going to ignore something like that.  And two, this is completely me and I get it but still.....why is her dark skin soooo negative.  I know the answer and I understand the time period but don't beat me over the head with it.  DANG!  I get it!  She is not even dark.  She olive due to her father being Italian.  Got it!  And that is why she can't get a man.  OOKKKK!!!!  *eye rolling*  I am going to read the other books in the series cause I love Alexia so much.  She is like a modern woman in her thinking, side comments and actions just stuck in a Victorian Era life.

Audiobook: 10 hrs and 52 mins
Narrator:  Emily Gray 
Again I did half read and half listen.  This might be my new norm.  Emily has a great voice and she seems to BE Alexia Tarabotti.  I just wish they would have hired a male actor with a deep Scottish accent to be Lord Maccon when the book turns to his perspective.   

Reviews by Other Bloggers

Recommendations
I recommend this book to young adult readers and older due to the violence.

Challenges
This book is number in my 14 Off the Shelf Challenge
This book is number in my 20 Audiobook Challenge
This book is number in my 24 Women's Reading Challenge
This book is number in my 15 TBR Reading Challenge
This book is number in my 6 Dusty Reading Challenge
This book is number in my 7 Historical Fiction Reading Challenge
This book is number in my 33 Goodreads Challenge 

Other Books in the Series

No comments:

Post a Comment