My Little Pocketbooks: Review: Rotters   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Monday, October 21, 2013

Review: Rotters

Rotters
Author: Daniel Kraus
Genre: YA Horror
Publisher: Listening Library
Release Date: April 5, 2011
Audiobook: 16 hours and 23 minutes
Narrator: Kirby Heyborne

Source: Free from Audiobooksync.com
Buy the Book: Amazon
Book Description
Grave-robbing. What kind of monster would do such a thing? It's true that Leonardo da Vinci did it, Shakespeare wrote about it, and the resurrection men of nineteenth-century Scotland practically made it an art. But none of this matters to Joey Crouch, a sixteen-year-old straight-A student living in Chicago with his single mom. For the most part, Joey's life is about playing the trumpet and avoiding the daily humiliations of high school.
Everything changes when Joey's mother dies in a tragic accident and he is sent to rural Iowa to live with the father he has never known, a strange, solitary man with unimaginable secrets. At first, Joey's father wants nothing to do with him, but once father and son come to terms with each other, Joey's life takes a turn both macabre and exhilarating.  
Daniel Kraus's masterful plotting and unforgettable characters make Rotters a moving, terrifying, and unconventional epic about fathers and sons, complex family ties, taboos, and the ever-present specter of mortality

Review
Again another YA book I have never ever heard of until Audiosync.com offered it for free in June during audiobook week.  The story of Joey Crouch, a young some what nerdy 16 year old boy living with his mom starts this story with a bizarre opening only to get out of control...strange.  And I loved the story for that reason.  I love completely unique stories that give you insight into lives of people you know nothing about.  I know nothing about grave robbing and this story gave me insight along with the hibbie gibbies!!  OMG!  Where do I start?
Joey is so well written that I honestly think I know him.  Not in a friend way but I did see this boy in school a few times and didn't even pay him any notice.  I love how the author incorporated smells (yucky) along with a detail visual description of Joey and his surrounding.  Another outstanding character in this story is Baby!  Holly Cow!  He freaked me out.  Yes a grown woman!  Me!  Freaked out by this man and his oooohhhhh so evil intentions.  
But the icing on this cake has to be the narrator,  Kirby Heyborne.  I have never, ever listened to an audiobook and had to turn it off a minute to catch my breath.  Really!  I did it!  Yes!  More than once.  When Kirby reads Baby, it's like he becomes this short, stout, drug addicted grave-robber.  Gross and gross and amazing!  The details, the voice and......  oh wait!  When the narrator starts reading Baby toward the end of the story and is saying....
Rotters!      Rotters!
Rotters!      Rotters!
Rotters!      Rotters!
It made the hair on my arms stand up!  Even writing this review is giving me the hibbie gibbies again!!  AAHH!!!  
Great job!
How is this scariness a YA book?  Oh Man!     

Reviews by Other Bloggers

Recommendations
I recommend this book to new adults who have a strong stomach due to language and gore.

Challenges
This book is number 24 in my Audiobook Challenge
This book is number 37 in my Goodreads Challenge
Linked to Horror October and Bloggers Dressed in Blood.
 BloggersDressedInBloodtest
Horror October @ Literary Excursion
 

This book is a part of my R.I.P. VIII Reading Challenge.
 RIP8main300

No comments:

Post a Comment