My Little Pocketbooks: Book Blogger Hop: Book Club & First Lines   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Friday, September 13, 2013

Book Blogger Hop: Book Club & First Lines

 
Hosted by Coffee Addicted Writer    TGIF!!
Welcome everyone to another post of Book Blogger Hop (hosted by Coffee Addicted Writer).   This meme is cool because you can post any day of the week.  That's right no pressure on getting your post up a specific day of the week.  Each week there will be a new topic submit by a blogger and everyone can join in with their answers.  You should join us!
  This weeks Topic/Question
September 13th - 19th: Are you in a book club? How does your book club choose books? How far in advance do you choose? (submitted by Elizabeth)

My Answer
Yes I am!  I talk about my book club all the time and I love telling this story again and again. 
I am the Founder of Mocha Girls Read Book Club.  
Our selection process for our Book of the Month is very democratic.  Every month I pick a theme for the nomination process.  Themes keep our selections eclectic.  Some of the themes are "September: Books from the High School Reading List", "October: Monster Books" and "December: Holiday Fiction".  
The first week of the month we have 7 days of Nominations were anyone can nominate one book that fits within the theme.  After the nomination process I create a ballot and the voting starts for another 7 days.  At the end of the voting week which ever book with the most votes wins.  
We have only had a tie twice in two years.  Ties are 48 hour head to head battles to the death!!!  Via voting.  
Usually, the books are selected a week and half or two before the month.  
Do you belong to a book club?  How does your book club pick the book of the month?
 

First Lines Friday is a bookish meme hosted by Literary Marie of Precision Reviews. I encourage all of my fellow book bloggers and bookhearts to play along.
  • Grab your current read(s).
  • Share the first line(s).
  • Include the title and author.
"Get rid of that body now, or my men will mutiny!" the captain yelled from the other side of the door. A stylus on the floor rolled with the movement of the ship.  The flame from the hanging bronze lamp flickered. Still, I did not respond." 
- Cleopatra's Moon by Vicky Alvear Shecter

No comments:

Post a Comment