My Little Pocketbooks: Review: The Fault In Our Stars   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Monday, March 18, 2013

Review: The Fault In Our Stars

Author: John Greene
Genre: YA
Publisher: Brilliance Audio
Release Date: January 10, 2012
Audiobook: 7 hours 14 minutes
Narrator: Kate Rudd

Source: I bought it from Audible.com
Buy the Book: Amazon
Book Description
Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now.
Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.
Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind
Review
Where do I start with this review?  First, let me say that I was very hesitant to get this because there were a few words associated with this book that I didn't want to experience.  Words like "cry", "tear jerker", "heart strings".  You get my meaning right?  OK.  But I figured it was a quick 7 hour audiobook that I could knock out in a week during my commute to and from work.  I finished this in two days.  This book pulled me straight out of my reader's burn out.  
In my opinion the words that should be associated with this book are "brilliant", "smart", and "real".  I love everything about this audiobook and I am happy to say this is the first 5 star "Love It!" of 2013.  
Ok, let's start with the plot of 16 year old Hazel, with Stage 4 thyroid cancer in a kind of remission.  I am always amazed when men write from the perceptive of a young teenage girl and get it ALL right!  Everything about Hazel screams teen.  John Greene got Hazel and her self-conscience moments, falling in love, relationship with her mom, and even her thoughts on what to wear right!  Bravo!
Hazel's relationship with hot Augustus Waters, who she met at a cancer kid support group is unique and special.  Their relationship is something that total resonated with me.  I am not one of those women who was blessed with meeting her soulmate in high school.  I have been "dating" forever!!!!  So when Hazel (not going to spoil it) talks about the math of their relationship, I get it!  There is something almost tangible about a relationship you have with someone that time, space and others can't explain or put a generic definition too!  
The story follows perfectly.  The character's are smart and real.  The plot pulls you into the cancer kid world and the emotions are everywhere! 
Now let's talk about the narrator Kate Rudd.  Oh Kate!  Kate! Kate!  All I have to say is...."And the Oscar for best performance of an actress in an audiobook goes to KATE RUDDD!!"  *standing ovation* *applause*.  Kate is Hazel or at least she was in this audiobook.  Kate did not just read the book but she lost her breathe when Hazel was talking like a person with lungs full of fluid would.  She gave perfect accents to different characters and even the men had clearly distinct voices.  Every emotion the writer put in the book Kate pulled it out, wrapped it up and delivered it to the readers with a bow on top.
There is one thing I want to talk about that this book made me think about.  You know when you are feeling down about life or a situation you might be going through.  And a friend, co-worker, partner, BFF tells you.."If you think you have it bad, at least your _______" (Insert tragic situation or disease)  Why is that ok?  Why is some else's misery, suffering, pain, disease suppose to make us feel better about ourselves?  Would you tell an average looking person.."Well at least your not ugly?"  
I think you are to appreciate your health, your life, family and friends where they are now and not because of someone else's journey isn't perfect.  I'll get off my soap box now.  *stepping down*  (Even though there are so many things I want to say about this book.)
Get this book!  Read it!  Listen to it!  And then pass it on!  
 Reviews By Other Bloggers
 Bart's Bookshelf
  Good Book Good Wine
Devourer of Books
The Starry-Eyed Revue

Recommendations
I recommend this book to readers of all ages.

Challenges
This book is number 6 in my Audiobook Challenge
This book is number 12 in my Good Reads Challenge

soundbytes picture 
Audiobook Reviews will be linked @Devourer of Books every Friday.  Join in and link up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment