My Little Pocketbooks: "The Artist" Inspirations   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Sunday, January 8, 2012

"The Artist" Inspirations

     After seeing the movie "The Artist" I fell in love with the fashion of 1920's all over again.  The costume department did a wonderful job with the dresses, hats, and of course the purses.  *swoon*  I think I let out a small ekk! when I saw the stereotypical beaded handbag of my 1920's dreams. 
(Top Left) La Regale Handbag $39 Macy.com   (Top Right) Exquistie Seed Bead Sequined Leaf Evening Handbag $30 Amazon.com  (Bottom Left) White beaded Handbag weddingo.co.uk     (Bottom Right) Antique Beaded Rose Handbag $30 Amazon.com



     Oh course you saw the prices on these beauties.  All under $40.00!  Now that money is not an issue, you are probably thinking when and where would I use a purse like that?  Everywhere is my answer!  Going to the movies and you have no intentions on hiding a bag of popcorn, two drinks and a candy bar in your purse then go 1920's all the way.  No matter what you are wearing a little glitter on your arm always makes a statement!  You don't need the flapper dress and the cute pin curls ladies.  Just a add the sparkle of a beaded handbag to your daily outfit.


If you would love to read a cute book about a regurl girl getting sweeped up by romance and the 1920's in London.  Then you have to check out this cute book by Sophie Kinsella called what else but "Twenties Girl".


 From Amazon.com
Sophie Kinsella is a former financial journalist and the author of the best-selling novels Confessions of a Shopaholic, Shopaholic Takes Manhattan, Shopaholic Ties the Knot, Shopaholic & Sister, Shopaholic & Baby, Can You Keep a Secret?, The Undomestic Goddess, and Remember Me?  She lives in England, where she is at work on her next book.


Writing Twenties Girl was like going on my own magical mystery tour. My U.S. editor Susan Kamil had once said casually, "You should write a ghost story one day." This comment stayed with me for years. I loved the idea, but didn't know who my ghost could be. I've always loved the glamour and spirit of the 1920s, and the idea came to me of a flapper ghost. A feisty, fun, glamorous girl who adored to dance and drink cocktails and get her own way. I wanted her to be a determined character who would blast into the life of someone with no warning and cause havoc. I then decided she should haunt a thoroughly modern girl, with all the culture clashes and comedy that would bring.


Having come up with this idea I loved it, so it then remained to plunge myself into 1920s research, which was no hardship at all, as I find the era fascinating. I researched vintage make-up, vintage dresses, read fiction from the period, investigated 1920s slang, and tried to channel as much I could of those feisty flappers who cut their hair short (shock!), smoked cigarettes in public (shock!), had sex (shock!) and generally rebelled in all the outrageous ways they could.
The book isn't a period piece though. It's a modern story about two girls and their sparky friendship, right here in the 21st century. One of them just happens to be a ghost from the 1920s. It's a quest, a romance, and a coming of age... and above all a comedy. It's no exaggeration to say that writing the character of Sadie made me look at life differently, and I hope some readers feel the same way. —Sophie Kinsella

No comments:

Post a Comment