My Little Pocketbooks: Thoughtful Thursday: Number of Characters   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Thoughtful Thursday: Number of Characters


Hosted by Reading Is Fun Again

Pam over at Reading Is Fun Again started this meme to get a book blogger thoughts on a few bookish things. You know how much I love sharing my thoughts/opinions on stuff, so I thought it would be perfect to add my two cents in too! Stop by her blog and join in on the Thoughtful meme.
I created Thoughtful Thursday, because bookish thoughts kept popping up in my mind while reading, and I wanted to explore these questions and get your opinions too! -From Reading Is Fun Again

Thoughtful Thursday Question

 How many characters do you like to meet and get to know in a book? Do you prefer a book with just a protagonist and a handful of central characters or do you like to meet lots of characters?

My Answer

I just finished listening to The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty and there were a few to many characters in the story the author tried to make important to the storyline.  Honestly, there were so many folks, I got a few of them mixed up most of the book. 
Who was married to who? 
Or is that the daughter of?
  For the first 4 chapters you meet about 3 new characters.  That would be about 12 people in 4 Chapter. 
Can you say overkill? 
With audiobooks I find it harder to follow a bunch of folks whereas reading the book is a bit easier for me when there are a lot of characters involved.  I am not sure why but having the name in front of me on paper is easier to keep track of.  
But my overall preface is to have 1 main protagonist and less than 5 mini side kicks revolving around them like small moons. 

What about you?  How many characters do you like to meet and get to know in a book?

No comments:

Post a Comment