My Little Pocketbooks: Review: Redshirts   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Monday, February 24, 2014

Review: Redshirts

http://amzn.to/1bpNHFE
Redshirts: A Novel of Three Codas
Author: John Scalzi
Genre: Science Fiction 
Publisher:  Audible Frontiers
Release Date:  June 5, 2012
Audiobook: 7 hours and 41 minutes
Narrator: Wil Wheaton

Source: Bought it from Audible
http://amzn.to/1bpNHFE

Book Description

Ensign Andrew Dahl has just been assigned to the Universal Union Capital Ship Intrepid, flagship of the Universal Union since the year 2456. It’s a prestige posting, with the chance to serve on "Away Missions" alongside the starship’s famous senior officers.
Life couldn’t be better…until Andrew begins to realize that 1) every Away Mission involves a lethal confrontation with alien forces, 2) the ship’s senior officers always survive these confrontations, and 3) sadly, at least one low-ranking crew member is invariably killed. Unsurprisingly, the savvier crew members below decks avoid Away Missions at all costs.
Then Andrew stumbles on information that transforms his and his colleagues’ understanding of what the starship Intrepid really is…and offers them a crazy, high-risk chance to save their own lives.
Redshirts is the winner of the 2013 Hugo Award for Best Novel.

Review

Now first let me say that I was a Star Trek fan from way back in the day.  I watched the show for years as well as a few of the spin-offs.  As a kid I never new or realized the Redshirt phenomena at all.  I was just so into the show I never paid much mind to the odd stuff going on.  Until now!!  
This book is 100% based on the tragic lifespan of a flagship crew member who wears the redshirt on an away mission.  When Ensign Andew Dahl is stationed to the Intrepid he begins to notice a few odd things with the other crew members.  
This book for me was hokey.  I can't think of a better word for it just yet.  Hokey!  And honestly, I can't think of a better way to write about a starship in crazy life threatening, over the top dialog situations but hooky.  
The book is divided into three sections (codas).  The first one is the confusion mostly and yes I was sooo confused by it that I stopped listening to the audiobook for several weeks before jumping into it again.  The second coda was so much better.  It was funny and had me laughing out loud.  I can't tell you much about it because I don't want to spoil the storyline.  Why couldn't the rest of the book be like this?  Why?Why? Why? (Always in threes.  LOL!)
The third and last coda was a hit and ...miss for me too!  The hokiness (I made that word up) jumps to corny.  They characters love poking fun at each other and it feels very boy high school-ish.  Kinda got on my nerves a bit.  
The saving grace for me with this audiobook is my all time favorite narrator Wil Wheaton.  (OMG!  Sidebar I just googled Wil Wheaton to place a gif here and I found out...he is MARRIED!  OMG!  When did this happen?  I had a nerd girl crush on him since high school and I was kinda thinking I could..you know...MARRY HIM!)  *sigh*
 Ummm....well... you get the idea.  It was...just ok.  Gotta go...now....and cry over my....broken heart in my hands.  
*sigh* 
*deep disappointment breath*

Reviews by Other Bloggers

Recommendations

I recommend this book to older teens and adults due to the language and violence.

Challenges

This book is number 3 in Audiobook Reading Challenge
This book is number 3 in my New to Me Author Reading Challenge
This book is letter R in my A-Z Reading Challenge
 

No comments:

Post a Comment