My Little Pocketbooks: Review: Anna Dressed in Blood   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Monday, October 7, 2013

Review: Anna Dressed in Blood

Anna Dressed in Blood
Author: Kendare Blake
Genre: YA Paranormal
Publisher: AudioGO
Release Date: July 3, 2012
Audiobook: 8 hours and 43 minutes
Narrator: August Ross 

Source: Free from Audiobooksync.com
Buy the Book: Amazon
Book Description
Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.
So did his father before him, until he was gruesomely murdered by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. They follow legends and local lore, destroy the murderous dead, and keep pesky things like the future and friends at bay.
Searching for a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas expects the usual: track, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, now stained red and dripping with blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.
Yet she spares Cas's life.

Review
I got this audiobook free from Audiobooksync.com during audiobook week last year.  It seems every blogger has read this book so I jumped at the chance to get it for free.  
The story is basically about Cas, a killer of the dead.  Ghost.  Ghost who are haunting and killing people in the real world.  This is an occupation that he took up from his father after his death by the hands of a ghost.
The storyline was interesting.  I like how the story starts and how it unfolded.  I am really trying to write this without spoiling anything.  LOL!  Not easy.  Ok.  
Who is Anna?  The chic on the cover.  Just kidding.  Anna is a ghost Cas has been dispatched to kill.  And Anna is as bad ass as they come.  She is a cold hearted killer and has tons of victims.  I thought the writing of Anna was really good.  The author makes you fear her and feel for her.  Your opinion of her changes and you have a minute or two when you think "Am I rooting for the ghost killer?"  I loved Cas' mother.  But like always the parent(s) are never really around.  They are off doing stuff and never really notice the visable changes their kids are going through.  When I was a teen I would put forbidden make-up on in the girls bathroom and take if off before coming home.  AT five o'clock I would get in trouble for wearing makeup the minute my mom came in the door.
Moving on.  The reason I give this book such a low rating is the audiobook narrator didn't do a great job.  His voice was good for Cas but was not great at all for the other characters.  I think that is important.  If the one narrator can make me hear, feel and think about the other characters the author so patiently built then whats the point.  
The book was also not as scary as I was hoping it would be.  I wanted Anna to really scare me.  She did do some really gory stuff but then that was it.  I had higher hopes for this book from all the book bloggers and reviews.  Oh Well!    

Reviews by Other Bloggers

Recommendations
I recommend this book to older teens due to the a few graphic violence scenes and language.

No comments:

Post a Comment