My Little Pocketbooks: Review: The Shoemaker's Wife   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Monday, March 4, 2013

Review: The Shoemaker's Wife

The Shoemaker's Wife
Author: Adriana Trigiani
Genre: Historical Fiction
Publisher: HarperAudio
Release Date: April 3, 2012
Audiobook: 15 CD's - 17 hours 51 minutes
Narrator: Adriana Trigianiand Annabella Sciorra 

Source: I won it from Jen@Devourer of Books during Audiobook Week 2012
Buy the Book: Amazon
 Book Description
The majestic and haunting beauty of the Italian Alps is the setting of the first meeting of Enza, a practical beauty, and Ciro, a strapping mountain boy, who meet as teenagers, despite growing up in villages just a few miles apart. At the turn of the last century, when Ciro catches the local priest in a scandal, he is banished from his village and sent to hide in America as an apprentice to a shoemaker in Little Italy. Without explanation, he leaves a bereft Enza behind. Soon, Enza’s family faces disaster and she, too, is forced to go to America with her father to secure their future.
Unbeknownst to one another, they both build fledgling lives in America, Ciro masters shoemaking and Enza takes a factory job in Hoboken until fate intervenes and reunites them. But it is too late: Ciro has volunteered to serve in World War I and Enza, determined to forge a life without him, begins her impressive career as a seamstress at the Metropolitan Opera House that will sweep her into the glamorous salons of Manhattan and into the life of the international singing sensation, Enrico Caruso.
From the stately mansions of Carnegie Hill, to the cobblestone streets of Little Italy, over the perilous cliffs of northern Italy, to the white-capped lakes of northern Minnesota, these star-crossed lovers meet and separate, until, finally, the power of their love changes both of their lives forever.
Review
 The story of Enza and Ciro is so beautiful and is an epic novel.  The story follows them from childhood in Italy all the way to their separate journeys to America where fate brings them together on more than one occasion. The story flows seamlessly threw the years, decades and life span of these two and their friends and family. The author uses words to paint a masterpiece of a story giving life to New York's opera house, Italy, the neighborhoodss of New Jersey and finally Minnesota . I loved more than anything her attention to detail. From Enza's dress and hat, to the food at a party, to the color of the countryside Adriana Trigiani did not forget me the reader.  Everything is there!  It's a must read just for that aspect alone.
I bet you are wondering why I did not give it top honors. Well, the first half of the audiobook was narrated by Annabella Sciorra and she has THE PERFECT VOICE for this book. It was like she was born to read this. Her Italian, PERFECTO! Her pace, PERFECTO! Her sing song lullaby voice gave life to the story and made you want to listen non-stop.  Annabella did a top-notch, award-winning performance.  But then I got to disc 6 and the narrator changed.  I had no idea this was going to happen at all. And it was...unnerving. That is the only word I can put to it.   I know that the second narrator was the author but I think the audiobook would have benefited by having Annabella complete it.   That is the only reason I took one star off.  But everyone should have one epic love story in their library and I think this is a great pick.
Reviews by Other Bloggers
Girlxoxo 
Teresa's Reading Corner
Books In The City
 Recommendations
I recommend this book to readers of all ages.
Challenges
This book is number 5 in my Off The Shelf Reading Challenge
This book is number 5 in my Audiobook Challenge
This book is number 8 in my Women's Reading Challenge
This book is number 4 in my TBR Pile Reading Challenge
This book is number 2 in my Historical Fiction Reading Challenge
This book is number 6 in my Genre Variety Reading Challenge
This book is number 10 in my Good Reads Challenge
      
 
Audiobook Reviews will be linked @Devourer of Books every Friday.  Join in and link up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment