My Little Pocketbooks: Review: Rescue   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Review: Rescue

Rescue
Author: Anita Shreve
Genre: Contemporary
Publisher: Little, Brown & Company
Release Date: June 27, 2011
Audiobook: 6 CDs
Narrator: Dennis Holland

Source: I won it from Teresa @Teresa's Reading Corner last year
Buy the Book: Amazon
Book Description
Peter Webster is a rookie paramedic when he pulls a young woman out of a car wreck that should have killed her. Sheila Arsenault haunts his thoughts, and despite his misgivings Peter is soon embroiled in an intense love affair--and in Sheila's troubled world.
Eighteen years later, Sheila is long gone and Peter is raising their daughter, Rowan, alone. But Rowan is veering dangerously off course, and for the first time in their quiet life together Peter fears for her future. He seeks out the only person who may be able to help Rowan, although Sheila's return is sure to unleash all the questions he has carefully been keeping at bay: Why did a mother leave her family? How did the marriage of two people so deeply in love unravel?
A story about trespass and forgiveness, secrets and the seismic force of the truth, Rescue is a masterful portrayal of a family trying to understand its fractured past and begin again.
Review
OMG!  This book was not my cup of tea.  There were to many boring sections in this book to keep me interested.
This story is basically about how Rowan's (a great student, teenager going down the wrong path) parent met.  And nothing else really!  Webster, Rowan's dad is an EMT who is called to an accident where he saves Shelia, Rowan's mom.  Webster thinks having a relationship with a woman that is almost killed by her drunk driving is a great idea and learns years later that maybe it was not the smartest decision he has ever made.
This audiobook was short only 6 CD's so I got through it fairly quickly.  Thank God!  The one thing that I couldn't handle with this audiobook was the narrators voice.  ARGH!  He tries to give Shelia a Boston accent that I swear sounded like an Australian accent most of the time.
Have you ever watched the Disney wildlife specials?  I might be showing my age but they use to come on TV back in the day.  The narrator use to drone on and on about the family of bears with the fictitious names he gave them.  Well I guess he moved from Disney to audiobooks.  I hate that this review sounds mean and this is the second draft but... what was the point?  The audiobook was kinda pointless because there were so many boring spaces and the ending just ended.  Not happy, not resolved, not tragic and sad,  NOTHING!  Just ended.  From what I hear this author is great but this is not the best of her best.  I might try something else by her.  MAYBE!
Other Reviews from Bloggers
Beth Fish Reads
Always with A Book
S. Krishna's Books 
Recommendations
I recommend this book to adults due to the subject matter. 
Challenges
This book is number 4 in my Off The Shelf Reading Challenge
This book is number 4 in my Audiobook Challenge
This book is number 6 in my Women Reading Challenge
This book is number 3 in my TBR Pile Reading Challenge
This book is number 8 in my Goodreads Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment