My Little Pocketbooks: Review: Absent   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Monday, February 11, 2013

Review: Absent

Absent
Author: Katie Williams
Genre: YA
Publisher: Chronicle Books
Release Date: April 30, 2013
Paperback: 288 pages

Source: Free ARC from publisher
Buy the Book: Amazon
Book Description
When seventeen-year-old Paige dies in a freak fall from the roof during Physics class, her spirit is bound to the grounds of her high school. At least she has company: her fellow ghosts Evan and Brooke, who also died there. But when Paige hears the rumor that her death wasn't an accident—that she supposedly jumped on purpose—she can't bear it. Then Paige discovers something amazing. She can possess living people when they think of her, and she can make them do almost anything. Maybe, just maybe, she can get to the most popular girl in school and stop the rumors once and for all.
Review
I got this book last year from the publishing company at SCIBA Author's Fest.  (Here is my post about the event). I didn't even read the back cover synopsis until I picked it up last week. 
Paige a 17 year old high school student falls from the roof of the school and her soul is stuck at the high school where she joins two other souls Evan and Brooke.  
The biggest issue in the book is Paige having to cope and figure out the rumors surrounding her death.  Did she jump?  Did she fall?  Was it an accident?  What really happened?  
This book took me from not liking it to kinda liking it to liking it.  Here is what I am talking about.  Paige (a dead girl) is soooooooo caught up in what people think of her that it becomes so annoying.  She is dead why is this an issue?  Really?  Your going to spend your eternity still dealing with that?  I had to release my adult self and embrace my teen self.  Then I began to get into it more and the story got better too!  I don't read a lot of YA anymore so that was a small thing I had to remember.  I am reading and thinking as an adult not a YA.
So with that being said there were a few things the writer didn't make clear to me.  One time Paige is passing through the floor and people but she can't walk through walls?  She can hear her name when people are thinking of her and nothing else?   Evan has been dead for years and years but he didn't know about his abilities as a ghost?  Only dead frogs live in the basement?  What about birds that die and other animals?  And the ending did not fit with the ghost theme?  I am not going to give away the end but when you read it...Remember people can't see or hear her.  She's dead!
I like the moral of the story and think YA novels need to have them.  This book deals with bullying, stereotyping and revenge.  That is why I.... 
Reviews from Other Bloggers
Recommendations
I recommend this book to young adults.
Challenges
This book is number 3 in my Off The Shelf Reading Challenge
This book is number 5 in my Women Reading Challenge
 This book is number 7 in my Goodreads Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment