My Little Pocketbooks: Review: The Four Agreements   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Monday, October 15, 2012

Review: The Four Agreements

The Four Agreements
Author:  Don Miguel Ruiz
Genre:  Self Help
Publisher:  Amber-Allen Publishing
Release Date: January 15, 2001
Hardcover:  152 pages

Source:  Borrowed from a friend about 2 years ago.
Buy the Book: Amazon

Book Description
Featured in the premiere issue of O: The Oprah Magazine and on Oprah's Favorite Things 2000 segment, The Four Agreements reveals the source of self-limiting beliefs that rob people of joy and create needless suffering. Based on ancient Toltec wisdom, the Four Agreements -- be impeccable with your word, don't take anything personally, don't make assumptions, always do your best -- offer a powerful code of conduct that can rapidly transform life into a new experience of freedom, love, and true happiness. This jacketed linen-bound hardcover gift edition features two-color printing and a silk ribbon marker.
Review
I have had this book on my bookshelf for about 2 years now and so I thought it is about time to get to it.  And it would knock one more books of my Dusty Bookshelf Challenge.
I love books that give you (the reader) an AHA! Moment.  (As Oprah calls it)  This book had a few of them for me.  The book is broken down into several small segments.
1.   Domestication and the Dream Planet -This chapter takes a minute to wrap your mind around and once you do it makes the rest of the book a piece of cake.  I think I read this one a few times.  Put it down and thought about it for about a week.  It is a real mind trip.
2.  The First Agreement:  Be Impeccable with Your Words - This is a great chapter that I think everyone should read.  The chapter title says it all.  But read it anyways.  It's soo true!
3.  The Second Agreement:  Don't Take Anything Personally - This is the chapter I am still working on.  Everyday.  All Day!  If someone comes up to me and says.."You're a fat slop b%*!"  I would have to re-read this chapter while I was siting in jail.  This is a big pill to shallow and I am going to make a daily effort to add this one o my life.
4.  The Third Agreement:  Don't Make Assumptions - I have been trying to do this for a long time.  I have to say that I am good with this one as far as situations go but not that good with people yet!  I am trying.  But if a sexy hunk of a man smiles, says "Hi there!" at me in the supermarket....How am I not going to assume we are not going to get married and have cute babies?  I mean...Come on!
5.  The Fourth Agreement:  Always Do Your Best - I try...sometimes...kinda.  Ok!  I need to work on this one for real.
6.  The Toltec Path to Freedom: Breaking Old Agreements - Once you read the first 5 chapters you will be hit with the all time question...Now how am I going to do this?  This chapter is the how to on all the other chapters. 
7.  The New Dream: Heaven on Earth - I love this chapter. 
8.  Prayer - This is a chapter that I love too. 
Recommendations
I recommend this book to everyone of all ages.
Challenges
This book is number 8 in my Dusty Bookshelf Challenge
This book is number 15 in my POC Reading Challenge
This book is number 43 in my Goodreads Reading Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment