My Little Pocketbooks: TGIF # 8 ~ Author Promotion~   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Friday, March 9, 2012

TGIF # 8 ~ Author Promotion~

I decided to join a weekly meme called TGIF.  I kept seeing the button on top of so many sites, so I wanted to join in too.
This feature is for Fridays to re-cap the week's posts and to answer the proposed question from Ginger at GReads.  Check her out and join in the fun!

This Friday's Question
Promote An Author
Is there a particular author you wish got more recognition? Pick one author & tell us why we should read their work.

My Answer
There are so many authors I would love to give a shout out.  So many authors that have given me some really good quality time with their characters.  But I think I would love to give a little promotion to an author I just found out about and who has been writing a genre I never knew existed.  I first ran across this author on Jade's blog Sort of Beautiful.  
I would like to introduce you to ...BEVERLY JENKINS!  Here is a tidbit from an interview she did for my book club blog Mocha Girls Read.

Ms. Jenkins is the nation’s premier writer of African-American historical romance fiction and specializes in 19th century African American life. She has 30 published novels to date. She has received numerous awards, including: five Waldenbooks/Borders Group Best Sellers Awards; two Career Achievement Awards from Romantic Times Magazine; a Golden Pen Award from the Black Writer’s Guild, and in 1999 was named one of the Top Fifty Favorite African-American writers of the 20th Century by AABLC, the nation’s largest on-line African-American book club.

She has also been featured in many national publications, including the Wall Street Journal, People Magazine, Dallas Morning News and Vibe Magazine. She has lectured and given talks at such prestigious universities as Oberlin University, the University of Illinois, and Princeton. She speaks widely on both romance and 19th century African-American history.
In 2004 Ms. Jenkins branched out into romantic suspense with the publication of Edge of Midnight. Bring on the Blessings, her first faith based, women’s fiction work, was published in Jan 09.  Her newest historical, Night Hawk will be released in October 2011.  In 2012, look for the fourth book in the Blessings series: A Wish and A Prayer.
“Beverly Jenkins has reached romance superstardom .”
- Detroit Free Press
“Jenkins’s sassy heroines, well drawn secondary characters and seamless incorporation of black history result in a fresh, winning historical.”
- Publishers Weekly

MGR:  Welcome to Mocha Girls Read Ms. Jenkins!  I am sooo over the moon that you are here today.  Tell us about you latest book.
BJ:  My latest book is Night Hawk. It’s a historical romance set in 1889 Wyoming, and my sixteenth historical published by Avon books, an imprint of HarperCollins.  Night Hawk’s hero Ian Vance is a Bible quoting, gun toting bounty hunter. He appeared as a secondary character in two previous books. Inspiration came from all the emails and letters I received from readers asking that he have his own story.
MGR:  I just had to give the cover of Night Hawk some love.  As you can see why.  Do you have something in the works right now?
BJ:  I’m presently working on a contemporary romance novella about a woman who inherits a football team, and a historical set in 19th century California. No peeks allowed until I’m done because sometimes stories change before they cross the finish line.
MGR:  It looks like you are always writing.  Do you take time out to read other books?  If so, what are you reading now?
BJ:  Since I’m working I’m not reading, but when I’m done I’ll be reading the last in the Thief of Swords trilogy by Michael J. Sullivan. I’m a big fantasy fan.
MGR:  Really!  Who are some of your favorite authors?
BJ:  Some of my favorite authors are J. California Cooper, Walter Mosley, JD Robb, Jim Butcher and Ilona Andrews.

No comments:

Post a Comment