My Little Pocketbooks: Review: Fledgling   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Thursday, December 4, 2014

Review: Fledgling

Fledgling
Author: Octavia Butler
Genre: Paranormal
Publisher:  AudioGO
Release Date: July 15, 2008
Audiobook: 12 hours and 17 minutes
Narrator: Tracey Leigh
Source: Purchased from Audible
http://amzn.to/1v1XtGc

Book Description

Fledgling, Octavia Butler’s first new novel in seven years, is the story of an apparently young, amnesiac girl whose alarmingly un-human needs and abilities lead her to a startling conclusion: she is in fact a genetically modified, 53-year-old vampire. Forced to discover what she can about her stolen former life, she must at the same time learn who wanted—and still wants—to destroy her and those she cares for, and how she can save herself. Fledgling is a captivating novel that tests the limits of "otherness" and questions what it means to be truly human.

Review

This is not my first book by Octavia Butler and I have to say it was not my favorite out of all the books of hers I've read.
A young looking girl wakes up in a cave with a unbearable hunger and no memory.  With the body of a child Shori finds out her real age is 53 years old and she was apart of a "Ina" family who are no longer living.  As she finds out what happened to her family she learns of her vampire abilities, history and her place in it all. 
The overall premise of this book is really good and I have to say that was the best part.  Having the story start with Shori not knowing anything about her past and who she is was brilliant.  It gives the reader a chance to learn along with her.  The reader knows what she knows.  I really found that to be very intriguing because she asked a few questions I was asking myself along the way.  But I have a few Pro's and Con's about this book overall.
Pros
I love that Shori is Black and the fact that she has abilities other vampires don't due to skin color.
I like the way the story unfolded.
I liked the characters and what they brought to the story
Cons
I felt like there should have been more to the story.  It felt incomplete.
I hated Shori looking like a child and having a sexual relationship with a grown man.
I wasn't thrilled with the middle of the book.  It dragged on here and there.
I felt there were a few characters who were introduced for no reason at all.   

For these Pros and Cons I have to say that I thought the book was just OK and not Octavia's best book. 

Reviews by Other Bloggers

Recommendations

I recommend this book to older readers due to the sexual content with a minor and violence.

Challenges

This book is number 17 in my Diversity on the Shelf Reading Challenge
This book is number 49 in my Goodreads Reading Challenge 
This is a Mocha Girls Read Book of the Month

No comments:

Post a Comment