My Little Pocketbooks: Review: A House Divided   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Monday, August 26, 2013

Review: A House Divided


A House Divided
Author: Kimberla Lawson Roby
Genre: Fiction 
Series: #10 in A Reverend Curtis Black Novel
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing 
Release Date: May 7, 2013
 Hardcover: 336 pages

Source:  Purchased from Mysterious Galaxy Bookstore
Buy the Book:  Amazon
Book Description
Life is close to perfect for the Reverend Curtis Black and his wife, Charlotte--except their son Matthew and his girlfriend, Racquel, are about to become parents at the tender age of eighteen. Even though Curtis and Charlotte wish Matthew could focus on Harvard instead of fatherhood, they are determined to welcome their new grandson with open arms. But for Charlotte, welcoming her future in-laws is another story. Try as she might, Charlotte can't stand Racquel's mother, Vanessa--and the feeling appears to be mutual.
When the tension between Charlotte and Vanessa finally erupts, the stress sends an already-fragile Racquel into early labor. Everyone is quick to blame Charlotte, including Matthew and Curtis. That her own husband would side with someone else infuriates Charlotte and strains the relationship they've only recently been able to repair. Her one ally is Racquel's father, but that brings problems of its own.
While Charlotte schemes against Vanessa, Curtis is consumed with his own concerns about Deliverance Outreach. A mysterious figure from his past has been sending Curtis cryptic messages threatening to take away Curtis's coveted position as senior pastor and destroy everything he has worked so hard for. But who could hate Curtis that much? And how can he fight an enemy he can't even name?
Times of trouble are descending upon the Black family in more ways than one. Will they be able to overcome their challenges and stand together against someone who could take it all away? Or is the Black family finally out of miracles?
Review
Sometimes there are characters in a book that you forget are characters and you just HATE them!  That is what Charlotte did to me.  
As the wife of a Mega Church Pastor you would think she would always want and try to take the high road.  Not her son's baby.  Yes! You heard me.  Don't worry I am not spoiling it for you at all.  Most of this book is about back stabbing, ruthless first lady Charlotte Black making over the top efforts to take her son's baby from the mother while he is away at school.  Racquel, the baby mama, is a young mom living with her rich parents (her father is a Neurosurgeon) and is doing well with the help of her mother Vanessa. Did I mention Charlotte hates Vanessa?  For no real reason at all.  
There is so much choas and drama in the book that I wanted to throw it.  I had to stop myself and see what the hell was going to happen to these awful people.  Yes!  I won't spoil it but there is so much more "crazy" going on besides Charlotte.  I don't watch Hip Hop Wives, The Real Housewives, and Basketball Wives because of the amount of crazy going on.  I makes me mad to see it and now to read it.
 I have to say that I enjoyed Be Careful What You Pray For (Review) much better than this one. 
I did half book and half audiobook on this one too!  

Audiobook: 8 hours and 49 minutes
Narrator:   Gwen Hughes
I really was put off by this narrator and her staccato voice.  I don't think a book with so much emotion and drama mixes well with an almost computer generated voice.  I would have had someone else narrate it and another person to narrate the male voice of Reverend Black.  Having a woman memic a deep male voice is almost comical.  Just get a man with a rich, silky, deep voice.
 I took one star away for the narrator and one for the unjustified ending.  You have to read it!  But the ending SUCKS.  I want real Justice! and a "Come to Jesus" moment.  Lord!  These characters are a hot mess.

Reviews by Other Bloggers

Recommendations
I recommend this book to young adults and older due to some sexual subject matter.

Challenges
This book is number 21 in my Audiobook Reading Challenge
This book is number 27 in my Women's Reading Challenge
This book is number 37 in my Goodreads Challenge

 Mocha Girls Read Book of the Month

No comments:

Post a Comment