My Little Pocketbooks: Review: Parable of the Sower   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Review: Parable of the Sower

The Parable of the Sower
Author:  Octavia E. Butler
Genre:  Dystopian
Publisher:  Recorded Books
Release Date:  June 16, 2009
Audiobook:  12 hours and 5 minutes
Narrator:  Lynne Thigpen

Source: Purchased from Audible.com
Buy the Book:  Amazon.com
 Book Description
When unattended environmental and economic crises lead to social chaos, not even gated communities are safe. In a night of fire and death Lauren Olamina, a minister's young daughter, loses her family and home and ventures out into the unprotected American landscape. But what begins as a flight for survival soon leads to something much more: a startling vision of human destiny... and the birth of a new faith.
Review
This is the second book I have read by Octavia Butler.  And I have to say that this one was darker than Kindred.  This book was dark yet gripping.
This book is was written in a journal style of a teenager named Lauren Olamina.  The only daughter of a neighborhood preacher in 2024, California.  The world has changed and violence, poverty, hunger is everywhere.  Did I say violence?  Wheww!  I had to take a minute and stop here and there due to the graphic nature of the violence in this book.  I think I am kinda ok with a bad guy (character) getting murdered, raped, or burned but when it happens to children in a book it seems to take my breath away.  And not in a good way.  The violence in 2024 does not discriminate at all.  Young, old, men and woman are victims in this book.
But for some reason I was hooked to find out what happens to Lauren in this desperate landscape.  Lauren's dream of creating an Earthseed community builds up as she travels from her home to a new Northern community.  This is the backbone and the silver lining in the book that keeps the reader interested.  I found myself worrying for Lauren and the people she meets along the way.
I really enjoyed the thoughtfulness of Octiavia Butler's writing.  As I was listening to the book I could sense Octavia was giving us a glimpse of the future with a dose of the extreme terrible on top.  What would happen if the $4.00 a gallon gas jumped to $40.00 a gallon?  I for one would have to quite my job.  Then what?   
If you have a strong constitution and can handle violence in all forms then you might find this a great read.      
Other Bloggers Reviews
Girlxoxo
 Caprious Reader
Shelf Love

Recommendations
I would recommend this book to adults only due to graphic violence and some sexual references.

Challenges
This book is number 2 in my Audiobook Reading Challenge
This book is number 3 in my Women Reading Challenge
This book is number 4 in my Good Reads Reading Challenge
This book is number 4 in my Genre Variety Reading Challenge

 Mocha Girls Read Book of the Month

No comments:

Post a Comment