My Little Pocketbooks: Review: Even the Stars Look Lonesome   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Monday, January 28, 2013

Review: Even the Stars Look Lonesome

Even the Stars Look Lonesome
Author:  Maya Angelou
Genre:  Essay
Publisher:  Bantam
Release Date:  September 1, 1998
Hardcover:  148 pages

Source:  Selected it from a book swap last year
Buy the Book:  Amazon.com
Book Description
I have written of the black American experience, which I know intimately. I am always talking about the human condition in general and about society in particular. What it is like to be human, and American, what makes us weep, what makes us fall and stumble and somehow rise and go on.
The compelling wisdom and deeply felt perceptions of Maya Angelou have been cherished by millions of readers. Now, in a continuation of her bestseller Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now, she shares many of her most treasured personal experiences, reflecting on the ideas and inspirations that have touched her heart. Even the Stars Look Lonesome is a profound series of essays that explores aspects of life both big and small, with Maya Angelou serving as the unique, spellbinding guide to a powerful spiritual journey.
Review
I picked this book up from my book clubs bi-monthly book swap luncheon.  I had not heard anything about it at all.  I just know Maya Angelou is an author I missed reading and everything she writes sings to me.  I know that sounds crazy but it's TRUE!
Maya Angelou is an author that writes like she is imparting wisdom, comfort, and fun in everything she writes.  
This book is a collection of short essays and a few poems Maya Angelou has written on various topics.  All of them have that unique voice.  All of them have HER voice, thoughts and imagination.
For me the first 10 were the best and were more telling than the last 10 which where more preachy.  I loved one of them in particular called "A Song to Sensuality"  Check this small insert taken from page 36..."Leers and lascivious smirks to the contrary, sensuality does not necessarily lead to sex, nor is it meant to be a substitute for sex.  Sensuality is its own reward.
There are some who are so frightened by the idea of sensual entertainment that they make even their dwelling places bleak and joyless.  And what is horrible is that they would have others share that lonely landscape.  Personally, I'll have no part of it.  I want all my senses engaged."  
Now remember that a 70 year old African American woman is writing this.  That is what I love about this book.  She is me at 70.  Or the me I hope to be.  Fully engaged in all my senses and still have my senses too!   
As I was reading this, I felt like an older aunt was telling me a story and I laughed at the familiar family tie that I had to the story.  Even though it was not my story at all.  Maya Angelou does this to me all the time and this book does not disappoint at all.  The only thing I would change in this book would be something so small.  I would love to have a common theme or thread outside of her life stories moment.  I love the book as is but when I finished it I wanted to have some kind of pulled togetherness; pulled through to the GREAT ending.  Something was missing and I can't put my finger on it yet.  But overall I really...     
Other Bloggers Reviews
 Leafing Through Life

 Recommendations
I recommend this book to adult reader due to the chapter about sexuality.

Challenges
This book is number 2 in my Off The Shelf Reading Challenge
This book is number 2 in my Women Challenge
This book is number 2 in my TBR Pile Reading Challenge
This book is number 3 in my Goodreads Challenge
This book is number 3 in my Genre Variety Reading Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment