My Little Pocketbooks: Review: The Eleventh Plague   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Monday, October 22, 2012

Review: The Eleventh Plague

The Eleventh Plague
Author: Jeff Hirsch
Genre: Dystopia, Teen, Science Fiction
Publisher:  Scholastic Audio
Release Date:  September 1, 2011
Audiobook: 7 hours and 3 minutes
Narrator: Dan Bittner

Source:  Free from Audiobooksync.com
Buy the Book:  Amazon
 Book Description
In the aftermath of a war, America’s landscape has been ravaged and two-thirds of the population left dead from influenza. Fifteen-year-old Stephen Quinn and his family were among the few that survived. But when Stephen’s grandfather dies and his father falls into a coma, Stephen finds his way to Settler’s Landing, a community that seems too good to be true. There he meets strong, defiant, mischievous Jenny. When they play a prank on the town bully’s family that goes horribly wrong, they find themselves in the midst of a battle that will change Settler’s Landing forever.
Review
I did not know about this book until it was offered for free by Audiobooksync.com.  And what a wonderful surprise it turned out to be.  I love, love finding a good book I know nothing about; did not read reviews about and just skimmed the synopsis.  It's like opening a present from a stranger.  
I have not ventured into reading many (if any at all) post-apocalyptic, dystopia books until now.  I have found a new genre to fall in love with.  
The main character in the book, Stephen Quinn is a young man who quickly finds himself alone and fending for himself.  I love how the author lets you (the reader) feel the magnitude of his emotions when he comes across things we take for granted.  And of course there is a strong, female character as well.  The young Chinese girl, Jenny is strong due to the being bullied for her race.  
I loved this book because everything seemed to make sense.  The reason for the apocalypse, the attitude and prejudices people have, and the story behind the creation of Settler's Landing.  The book was thought out detail by detail.  
So why am I not giving it "LOVE IT!", well the ending sucks.  I almost took two starts for the ending.  I am not going to tell you what happens but.....If you were a lonely traveler with no family, would you let your first love take off on her own?  Where she is hated by the whole population cause she is Chinese?  Just like that!  No tears!  No remorse!  Just an "Ok see ya when I see ya."  WHATEVER!!??  
The audiobook narrator, Dan Bittner is great!  And has a great natural teen age boy voice that I really enjoyed listening to.  Great job Dan!
Recommendations
I recommend this book to all ages.
Challenges
This audiobook is number 15 in my Audiobook Challenge
This audiobook is number 42 in my Good Reads Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment