My Little Pocketbooks: Review: Shiver   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Monday, April 23, 2012

Review: Shiver


Shiver
Genre: YA (Werewolf)
Series:  The Wolves of Mercy Falls (Book 1)
Publisher:  Scholastic Press
Release Date: August 1, 2009
Audio book: 10 hours 43 minutes
Narrator:  Jenna Lamia
Source: Purchased at Audible.com
Buy the Book:  Amazon

Book Description
From a dazzlingly talented young writer, a haunting and original supernatural romance in the vein of TWILIGHT.
For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf--her wolf--is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human . . . until the cold makes him shift back again.
Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.
Review
I had decided to get this audiobook after reading and see so many other bloggers talk about it.  And I have been looking for a new series to get into.  Honestly, I don't think I have ever read a werewolf book before.  (Except Twilight and that series)  I am a vampire reader mostly.  
This book did not live up to the hype for me.  I have problems with the overall story mostly.  As a non teen I'd keep saying to myself.."Really?  If you were older you wouldn't think that?"  to all of Grace's thoughts toward Sam.  I understand young love.  I have been there, done that, and had fun with it but this is not just some guy she met at the mall.  This is a werewolf and she knows it.  Really?  I have a hard time getting my reality around that.  (YES!  I know it is a werewolf story and it's not real.  Just play along please. :) )  I was not thrilled at how easy they fell for each other and the sleeping together either.  I know I am showing my age.
Something about teenage girls giving up their friends, and their families for a guy seems so 1900's to me.  Women don't do that anymore.  Do we?  When she finds out that her BFF is missing and might have been bitten she does nothing about it until she gets a phone call from her asking for help.  This is your BFF Grace!  You guys are suppose to be like sisters and when some guy comes along you kick her to the curb.  Remember BALANCE!
It was not all bad.  I loved the authors use of smell and making it important to the characters.  She did a great job of not forgetting the characters traits and used them very well to develop them fully.  
As the the narrators of this audiobook, the young lady reading Grace, Jenna Lamia she did an outstanding job.  EXCELLENT!  I loved her teenage voice and the pace at which she changed her reading for the different characters. The gentleman reading Sam, was non other that David LeDoux from Water For Elephants audiobook.  And I have to say that yet again I have the same thoughts on his work.  He reads the characters really well but his reading of a female voice needs work.  The audiobook would have benefited greatly by having them read the right voice for the right character. (ie Sam read his chapter and when Grace speaks let Jenna read that line in her voice.)       
Recommendation
I would recommend this book to teenagers and older.
Challenges
This book is number 7 in my Audio Book Challenge
This book is number 15 in my 2012 Goodreads Challenge
Other Books in the Series
Did you read or listen to this book?  What did you think of it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment