My Little Pocketbooks: Dewey's Read A Thon: Hour 1-4   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Dewey's Read A Thon: Hour 1-4

It's 4:45am here in Los Angeles and I have my book Love in the Time of Cholera sitting next to me along with my fuzzy gray blanket here on the sofa.  For the next 24 hours it's all about the Read A Thon!!!  This year I will create a new post every 4 hours (hopefully) and update them as I go along.  Want to join in on the fun, go to http://24hourreadathon.com/ and see what its all about. They are giving away prizes and have some great mini-challenges.
**Disclaimer!  If my writing gets to be a little crazy, sorry but I haven't had my green tea yet!**

Hour 1:  Introductory Questionnaire
hosted by:  Dewey's Read A Thon
1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?
4) Tell us a little something about yourself!
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
 
1.  I am reading from the great city of Los Angeles
2.  I am looking forward to getting into Mockingjay since I have read the other two books. But first I want to have a few chapters of Love in the Time of Cholera done.  
3.  Ice Cream!!! and trail mix.
4.  I am a bookworm with a passion for purses and I blog about them both here.  I am single and dating.  (hey guys!) I love to watch Jeopardy, go wine tasting, and travel.  This is beginning to sound like my profile on Match.com
5.  This is my second read a thon and this year I will not blog, go to Macy's one day sale and DSW.  I will try and read more!!  Yes I Can!!

Hour 2:  Reading in Translation (Mini-Challenge) 
hosted by: Reading Through Life
  1. If you could read any book that’s been translated into English in its ORIGINAL language, what would it be?
  2. Include the original book’s cover if possible; if you want, also post the English cover for comparison.
Optional imaginary bonus points: post a sentence from the book in its original language.

I have to be honest and say that I have no idea.  I know the book I am currently reading Love in the Time of Cholera is an English translation from Spanish.  But I don't think I have actively seeked out English translations of other books.  *finger tapping my temple*  I have read parts of the Quaran and was the Alchemist in Spanish first?  I think so!  So there are a few.  I think I will need to add more to my TBR list.  
Spanish
English

Hour 3:  Read-a-Thon Mini-Challenge: Book Puzzle
hosted by:  One Librarian's Book Review
For this challenge, you will be creating a Book Puzzle.  Essentially, this is a series of pictures, graphics, or photos that you put together that will describe a book title.  I have been doing a biweekly game called Name That Book where I create book puzzles and let people guess the titles.
Here is my book puzzle.  Quite easy one!  If you need a hint...look in my library.  So far I am still reading and now snacking.  One banana, one cup of jasmine green tea with honey (working on) and water.  I have a daily goal of drinking 1 gallon of water.  Yesterday was the only day I missed in my first week.  Needless to say, more bathroom time!  LOL!

Hour 4: Mini-Challenge- Turn to a Page
hosted by:  Reflections of a Bookaholic
For this challenge, you must turn to page 32 of the book you are currently reading (or the nearest page with text on it) and find the most entertaining phrase to complete the following sentence:

"I would rather read than ________ any day!"
I had no idea Alexis was hosting a mini-challenge.  This is soo cool!  So here is mine.  
I would rather read than help him carry out his decision to die any day!
That is  sooo true.  Could you help someone you love kill themselves?  Nope not me!

To participate, all you have to do is sign the linky on the Read A Thon home page. If you have a blog, use that link, if not, use a link to your Facebook, Twitter, or other social networking site.  The Read-A-Thon starts at 5am Pacific Daylight Time/8am Eastern Daylight Time (which is 12pm GMT). Please use these times as a reference to determine your start time in your time zone. Participation is open to everyone, worldwide!

No comments:

Post a Comment