My Little Pocketbooks: Review: Catching Fire   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Monday, March 12, 2012

Review: Catching Fire


Catching Fire
Author: Suzanne Collins
Genre:  YA Fantasy/ Dystopian 
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Release Date:   1st edition (September 1, 2009)
Paperback: 391 pages

Source:  Borrowed the book from a friend
Buy the Book: Amazon

Book Description
Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.
Review
This is the second book in The Hunger Games trilogy.  I am going to try and do this review without any spoilers.  FYI if you haven't read The Hunger Games this is a spoiler for you.  
I honestly had no idea where the story would go once Katniss and Peeta returned to District 12.  I had no idea what could be interesting enough from the first book to continue to a second book.  Nothing except the possibility of a love triangle with Peeta, Katniss and Gale.  But as it turns out, that was not the main storyline.  
This book was just as good as the first book.  Just as in the first book, I had a hard time getting into it but once I passed the first 50 or so pages I was hooked.  I really enjoyed the parts in the book that talked about the various Districts.  To me that was so interesting and I commend Suzanne Collins on coming up with the different characteristics of each of the Districts.  This book was just as good as the first one and the addition of the new trials and shocking tribulations Katniss faces make this book a great read. The only thing I don't get is Katniss's feeling toward Gale especially after Peeta has risked his life to save her countless times.  What does Katniss not get?
Recommendations
I recommend this book to teenagers and over.  
Challenge
This book is number 5 in my 2012 Good Reads Challenge
This book is number 5 in my 2012 TBR Reading Pile
Other Books in the series

 

Did you read this book?  What did you think of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment