My Little Pocketbooks: Review: The Hunger Games   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Review: The Hunger Games



Genre:  YA Fantasy/ Dystopian 
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Release Date:  Reprint edition (July 3, 2010)
Paperback: 384 pages

Source:  Purchased at Esowon Bookstore
Buy the Book: Amazon


Book Description
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games," a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed.
Review
After hearing so much hype about this book and having it on my TBR pile, I was grateful my book club selected this as the January Book of the Month.  I don't think I would have just gone out and bought it and read it without the book club selecting it.  With that said, I really enjoyed this book.  The first half of the book (up to Chapter 5) I was complete disturbed that a book about kids killing kids was written and marketed to kids.  With all the parent groups going on and on about video game violence, I was not thrilled about the overall plot.  I was reading with much hesitation and dread of the chapters to come.
Once I completed the first half of the book and the Hunger Games had begun I was shocked to find myself reading and reading with much anticipation and excitement.  
The author did a good job of not making the killing violent and over the top for shock value.  (Which I was concerned about.)  The author did a wonderful job with making the readers understand the characters bonds, alliances as well as friendships.  
This book is a classic man vs. man story that mixes the elements of Wizard of Oz and Red Dawn.  
The overall experience of reading the book was good and I find myself thinking about purchasing the next two books in the series.  The only reason I did not give this book my top rating is due to the disturbing story plot of children in this situation. 
Recommendations
I recommend this book to teenagers and over.  
Challenge
This book is number 1 in my 2012 Good Reads Challenge
This book is number 1 in my 2012 TBR Reading Pile

Mocha Girls Read Book of the Month
Other Books in the series
 

Did you read this book?  What did you think of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment