My Little Pocketbooks: Shelf Control: Happiness Like Water   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Shelf Control: Happiness Like Water

http://bookshelffantasies.com/
Welcome to the a new weekly feature from Lisa at Bookshelf Fantasies called…  

Shelf Control!

Shelf Control is a weekly blog meme where we blogger talk about the books we have.  From the Lisa's blog.."Instead of looking ahead to upcoming new releases, Shelf Control focuses on already released books that I want to read. Consider this a variation of a Wishing & Waiting post… but looking at books already available, and in most cases, books that are either on my shelves or on my Kindle!"
God knows I have tons and tons of books to talk about.  
My Shelf Control pick this week is: 

Title: Happiness Like Water
Author: Chinelo Okparanta
Published: 2013
Length: 208 pages

Here are Nigerian women at home and transplanted to the United States, building lives out of longing and hope, faith and doubt, the struggle to stay and the mandate to leave, the burden and strength of love. Here are characters faced with dangerous decisions, children slick with oil from the river, a woman in love with another despite the penalties. Here is a world marked by electricity outages, lush landscapes, folktales, buses that break down and never start up again. Here is a portrait of Nigerians that is surprising, shocking, heartrending, loving, and across social strata, dealing in every kind of change. Here are stories filled with language to make your eyes pause and your throat catch. Happiness, Like Water introduces a true talent, a young writer with a beautiful heart and a capacious imagination.

How I got it:
I got it from the publishing company.  
When I got it:
In October of 2012 or 2013.  Can't remember.
Why I want to read it:
 I like short stories and I love stories about life in another country.  I have no idea why I haven't started it but when I saw it on Shannon @ Reading Has Purpose blog, and her not so hot thoughts on it, I wanted to read it and see why.  I rarely read reviews about books I have on my shelf but I did and now I want to read the book more.  One day I will get to it.

What book do you have sitting on your shelf collecting dust?

No comments:

Post a Comment