My Little Pocketbooks: POC Books on My Shelf   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Sunday, May 31, 2015

POC Books on My Shelf

Sorry this is so incredibly late.  I have to and I am trying get back to my POC schedule.
As you know, part of my 2015 resolutions is to post more about POC authors and characters. This has been a fun and great idea for me and my blog because I get a chance to show off a few authors and books that don't get that much time in the spotlight.
As you can see I have several books by or about People of Color.  The photo is of my TBR pile I need to get to it.  There is a complete mix of books on my bookshelf and I seem to jump to the next book based on what hits me at the moment solely.  No particular order.  
Feel free to join me and post a something on your blog about as well.
What is POC?
Well, basically it stands for Person of Color. All Colors! All non-white races are counted as POC.
Previous POC posts

Click on the covers to go to the books Amazon page.

~ POC Books On My Bookshelf ~

 A Long Way from Home by
http://amzn.to/1HEV2LD
In Connie Briscoe's third novel, the connotations of home are anything but heartwarming. For an enslaved mother, daughter, and grandmother, Montpelier plantation in Virginia is a living hell- and the proprietor, at least initially, is none other than President James Madison.
A Long Way from Home opens during Madison's lifetime, when Susie and her daughter Clara serve the First Couple as house slaves. Yet even this regime seems civilized compared to the havoc unleashed by Madison's brutal stepson. As Clara fends off (and ultimately succumbs to) the sexual advances of one master after another, the author conjures up the entire world of the "peculiar institution."
It is Susie's granddaughter and namesake, Susan, who first leaves Montpelier. Not, of course, voluntarily: she is sold to a family living in Richmond. Chained in the back of a departing wagon, she "clenched her teeth and stared at the sky. How dare the day be so clear, so beautiful, on this, the worst day of her life." But as the Civil War erupts, Susan ponders the possibility of a more joyous liberation. As Briscoe makes clear, the prospect elicited a complex blend of emotions from many slaves- Susan, for example, has been lulled into considering herself a part (if a diminished part) of her white master's family. 
 
The Seasons of Beento Blackbird by
http://amzn.to/1KwBtZ1
Writing under the name Beento Blackbird, Solomon Wilberforce writes best-selling books that reconnect Africa's children around the world with their glorious heritage.
Solomon's own personal life, however, is curiously disconnected. He spends his winters on Cape Corcos Island with the midwife who brought him into the world when she was only nine years old. In the spring he travels to New York to be with his beautiful and ultra-modern literary agent. His summers are spent with an innocent woman-child in a native village in Ghana. But when his father dies, Solomon is forced to break this cyclical pattern to attend the funeral, and all of the neat compartments of his life begin to tumble in on one another.

The Living (The Living #1) by


 
Legend (Legend #1) by Marie Lu
http://amzn.to/1KwBFrn

7:33AM by Monda Raquel Webb
http://amzn.to/1KwBITZ

Illusions: sometimes the eyes see what the heart wants by
http://amzn.to/1KwBJHx

What POC books do you have on your TBR shelf right now?

UPCOMING TOPICS
June 11: POC Book Covers I Love
June 25: POC Book Spotlight

No comments:

Post a Comment