My Little Pocketbooks: Review: The Time Traveler's Wife   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Monday, February 16, 2015

Review: The Time Traveler's Wife

 
The Time Traveler's Wife
Author: Audrey Niffenegger
Genre: Fiction
Publisher: HighBridge, a division of Recorded Books
Release Date: May 8, 2006
Audiobook: 17 hours and 43 minutes
Narrator:  Fred Berman and  Phoebe Strole
Source: Purchased from Audible.com
http://amzn.to/1CWUkw4

Book Description

A dazzling novel in the most untraditional fashion, this is the remarkable story of Henry DeTamble, a dashing, adventuresome librarian who travels involuntarily through time, and Clare Abshire, an artist whose life takes a natural sequential course. Henry and Clare's passionate love affair endures across a sea of time and captures the two lovers in an impossibly romantic trap, and it is Audrey Niffenegger's cinematic storytelling that makes the novel's unconventional chronology so vibrantly triumphant.
An enchanting debut and a spellbinding tale of fate and belief in the bonds of love, The Time Traveler's Wife is destined to captivate readers for years to come.

Review

I have never watched the movie (yet) but this book has been on my TBR list forever.  I am so happy I finally got a chance to read/listen to it.  FINALLY!  I love this audiobook.  The story of Henry and Clare is a true love story.  Not a true story but a defining love story.  Through thick and thin from now to forever kinda love story.  You see Henry is kinda different because he can time travel. Not like in the book The Time Machine.  This is more or less time traveling within in his life time and not at his will.  Henry seems to land in various places completely naked and not really with any knowledge of the place and time he lands in.  What makes this story so wonderful is the fun of his new budding relationship with a little girl and soon-to-be wife Clare.  What I love most about this book is how the author gives the reader the same situation in multiple views which makes it kinda magical.  You get to see their relationship from Henry's confused state as an adult, Clare's view from her child's eye and her adult mind looking back as well as the people in their lives that get to share in this strange adventure.  Henry and Clare are such a likable character.  When I was listening to the audiobook I thought a few times the author had to be male to understand Henry's male perception so well.  Nope she's not!  She is just another awesome female writer.  This audiobook was not like those sappy love stories at all.  The Time Traveler's Wife one is very grown, very interesting, funny and had a bit of off the wall-ness to it.  I know that is not a word but..
As I am re-reading this review I see that my thoughts are all over the place.  I can't help it!  I just loved this book.
Now let's talk about the narrator's.  Like I have said before, narrators make good books great audiobooks.  Thank you to the producers for putting two great narrators together.  Fred and Phoebe became Henry and Clare.  They were not readers at all but actors who studied and make an effort to do more than read the words on the page.
There is nothing about this audiobook I would change.  Nothing!  It's perfect and belongs in the audiobook hall of fame.
I wish I could tell you more about the story but I think I would tell to many spoilers.  But trust me this is a wonderful wonderful read.        

Reviews by Other Bloggers

Recommendations

I recommend this to adult readers due to sex and violence.

Challenges

This book is number 2 in my New To You Reading Challenge
This book is number 1 in my What's in A Name? Reading Challenge
This book is number 4 in my Audiobook Reading Challenge
This book is number 4 in my Goodreads Reading Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment