My Little Pocketbooks: Review: Her Dark Curiosity   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Monday, December 15, 2014

Review: Her Dark Curiosity

 
Author: Megan Shepherd
Genre: YA
Publisher: Harper Audio
Release Date: January 28, 2014
Series: Madman's Daughter (Book 2)
Audiobook: 12 hrs and 52 mins 
Narrator: Lucy Rayner
Source: Free from e-Library
http://amzn.to/1HSSX27

Book Description

Inspired by The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, this tantalizing sequel to Megan Shepherd's gothic suspense novel The Madman's Daughter explores the hidden natures of those we love and how far we'll go to save them from themselves. Perfect for fans of Libba Bray.
Back in London after her trip to Dr. Moreau's horrific island, Juliet is rebuilding the life she once knew and trying to forget her father's legacy. But soon it's clear that someone—or something—hasn't forgotten her, as people close to Juliet start falling victim to a murderer who leaves a macabre calling card of three clawlike slashes. Has one of her father's creations also escaped the island?
As Juliet strives to stop a killer while searching for a serum to cure her own worsening illness, she finds herself once more in a world of scandal and danger. Her heart torn in two, her past bubbling to the surface, and her life threatened by an obsessive killer—Juliet will be lucky to escape alive.

Review

This is the second book in The Madman's Daughter series and I will try my best not to spoil anything for you.  
Her Dark Curiosity opens with Juliet back in London getting herself back on her feet.  After the voyage to the island, Juliet has internal struggles, questions herself, and tries to heal herself of her illness as she finds being normal is not easy.  Then the bloody murders start in snowy London.  These are not just regular murders but are very beast-like in nature.  A three clawed beast.  
As the second book, Juliet's character seems to me to be in the same state as the first book.  She is always questioning and looking for answers as to the real story of her father and his work.  I though the first book was answer enough.  At the end of book one the reader is left asking themselves what is going to happen to Juliet.  That question is answered but it feels like Juliet ask way to many new questions regarding her father (and his work) that it became a bit repetitive.  I was asking a few questions like how book one characters just show up in book two?  Hmm?
One thing that rings likeable to me through this book is the way the author lets Juliet be attracted to the dark, bloody and gruesome things around her.  Durning this time period girls are not suppose to be strong in the sight of blood without fainting.  Juliet is somewhat drawn to science and the dark side and this is a nice change of pace to see in a YA novel.  
But my all time issues with YA are clear in this novel as well.  The absent parents and the love triangle.  I mean...really?  A love triangle yet again. I don't want to give away to much but this one is a bit too much for me to just let go of it.  Juliet has two guys in love with her and she juggles them both (mentally) from the middle of the book to the end.  Why is this a thing 16 year old girls have to do?  It seems like all YA authors are adding this to the plot now.  Why?  Is this what is suppose to happen?
Jumping off my soap box and back to the review.
The one word I would use to describe this book is macabre.  From the descriptions of places in London to the details of various characters. This author really knows macabre and writes it well.
The narrator  Lucy Rayner, is the same narrator from book one.  I feel she did a good job and I am now becoming use to hearing her voice as Juliet.  
Overall, I was not 100% sold on this book.  It was 50/50 because I was hoping to have something more than the usual YA formula going on.  But the end of the book makes me want to read Book 3 A Cold Legacy.  (release date: January 27, 2015)
Dang!  They got me!  

Reviews by Other Bloggers

Recommendations

I recommend this book to older teens due to the graphic details of bloody things.

Challenges

This book is number 30 in my Audiobook Reading Challenge
This book is number 44 in my Goodreads Reading Challenge 

Other Books in the Series

No comments:

Post a Comment