My Little Pocketbooks: Quicky Review #24: Philolzophy and Batman: The Court of Owls   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Quicky Review #24: Philolzophy and Batman: The Court of Owls

Welcome back to another Quicky Review everyone.
A lot of the time I like to read short stories, prequels and free audiobooks that are short and sweet.  But why do a full review on a book that is say...80 pages long.  So I do Quicky Reviews for the shorties and children books as well.  Basically, the short stories get short reviews.
Here are just a few sentences on one comic book and one short audiobook.
There are other Quicky Reviews for you to check out too and don't worry there will be more to come. I like short stories because most of them are FREE and I can get in and out of one in no time.
Previous Quicky Review
http://amzn.to/1IvaKwC
Genre: Essay
Publisher: Audible Studios
Release Date: April 9, 2013
 Audiobook:  2 hours and 31 minutes
Narrator:  Theresa McCarthy
 Source: Free from Audible.com
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GGBE1NY

 Book Description

A popular question in philosophy is "How do I know I exist?" That seems really boring, though. How about, "How can I use logic to get over my ex?" If you really love wisdom, you love it in all situations - you don't need to be spoon fed unsolved problems in philosophy, because you're already analyzing the US Weekly you’re reading or your kinda significant other. Sarah Heuer and Chrissy Stockton are writers living in Minneapolis who are determined to do something more interesting with their philosophy degrees than talk about dead white guys. 

My Thoughts

Why would you create a book to talk down to people about their religious beliefs and call it "Critical Thinking"?  This was a waste and I am not happy about the audiobook itself, the time I wasted on it and I am a bit upset about the nonsense of it all.  Thank God it was FREE!  Otherwise Audible.com would be refunding me a credit.  I really disliked this audiobook and I finished it only to tell you...don't do it!  There is no wisdom in this book at all just chatter.
Batman Vol. 1: The Court of Owls (The New 52)
Author:   Scott Snyder , Greg Capullo
Genre: Comic Book
Publisher: DC Comics
Release Date: June 5, 2012
  Ebook: 176 pages
 Source: Free from Starbucks
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GGBE1NY

 Book Description

Following his ground-breaking, critically acclaimed run on Detective Comics, writer Scott Snyder (American Vampire) alongside artist Greg Capullo (Spawn) begins a new era of The Dark Knight as with the relaunch of Batman, as a part of DC Comics—The New 52!
After a series of brutal murders rocks Gotham City, Batman begins to realize that perhaps these crimes go far deeper than appearances suggest. As the Caped Crusader begins to unravel this deadly mystery, he discovers a conspiracy going back to his youth and beyond to the origins of the city he's sworn to protect. Could the Court of Owls, once thought to be nothing more than an urban legend, be behind the crime and corruption? Or is Bruce Wayne losing his grip on sanity and falling prey to the pressures of his war on crime?  

My Thoughts 

Man have comic books come a long way since I was a kid.  I love the illustrations!  The only issue I have is how violent it is.  Dang!  Are comic books for kids still?  It was like watching a HBO TV show.  There is violence on almost every single page.  The story line was interesting and I would like to see where it goes from here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment