My Little Pocketbooks: Review: Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Review: Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

 
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
Author: John Berendt
Genre: Crime, Thriller, Non-Fiction
Publisher: Random House
Release Date: January 13, 1994
Hardcover: 388 pages
Source: From a garage sale decades ago.

http://amzn.to/1xkNxZ5

Book Description

Shots rang out in Savannah's grandest mansion in the misty, early morning hours of May 2, 1981. Was it murder or self-defense? For nearly a decade, the shooting and its aftermath reverberated throughout this hauntingly beautiful city of moss-hung oaks and shaded squares. John Berendt's sharply observed, suspenseful, and witty narrative reads like a thoroughly engrossing novel, and yet it is a work of nonfiction. Berendt skillfully interweaves a hugely entertaining first-person account of life in this isolated remnant of the Old South with the unpredictable twists and turns of a landmark murder case.

Review

I have had this book on my shelf for years and I think I got it around the same time the movie came out.  I never ever saw the movie because I wanted to finish reading the book first. 
Centered a small community in the heart of historical Savannah, Georgia John uncovers a cast of extremely interesting characters and a crime.   Danny Hansford the bad mouthed, male prostitute in town is murdered by none other than Jim Williams in the middle of the night.  Jim a wealthy antique dealer spares no expense to hire the best defense attorney.  Was it cold blooded murder or was it a lovers quarrel?  The town is a buzzed with gossip and who done it and why theories.
I loved this book.  I had no idea it was non-fiction until I completed the book.  Honest.  I had no idea.  Each and every single person was so well written and had such a big presences in the book that it made the story move along quickly.  There was a few moments I got  bit lost in the large cast of characters but the author wrote them so well that it was easy for me to get back on track.  I loved this book and I can easily see why it was on the New York Times Bestsellers List for so long.  
I have to say it again... I had no idea the book was non-fiction because the characters and the various events and situations they were in were so crazy that I thought it just had to be fiction.  But I guess not.  If you need a good ol' who done it and you want a bit of old mixed into to this is your book.  I want to go to Savannah now to see where all of this went down.         

Reviews by Other Bloggers

Recommendations

I recommend this book to adult readers due the violence and sex.

Challenges

This book is number 11 in my Dusty Book Shelf Reading Challenge
This book is number 14 in my Off The Shelf Reading Challenge
This book is number 45 in my Goodreads Reading Challenge
This book is number 12 in my Rewind Reading Challenge
This book is number 4 in my TBR pile Reading Challenge 

No comments:

Post a Comment