My Little Pocketbooks: Review: The Night Circus   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Monday, February 10, 2014

Review: The Night Circus

The Night Circus
Author: Erin Morgenstern
Genre: Historical Fantasy
Publisher: Anchor Books
Release Date: July 3, 2012
Paperback: 516 pages

Source: Won from Books A True Story
http://amzn.to/WqjUkq

Book Description

The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des RĂªves, and it is only open at night.
But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway: a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them both, this is a game in which only one can be left standing. Despite the high stakes, Celia and Marco soon tumble headfirst into love, setting off a domino effect of dangerous consequences, and leaving the lives of everyone, from the performers to the patrons, hanging in the balance.

Review

When you absolutely love a book where do you start?  
Ok, let me tell you about the book first then.  
Opening line in the book...
"The circus arrives without warning.
No announcements precede it, no paper notices on downtown post and billboards, no mentions or advertisements in local newspapers.  It is simply there, when yesterday it was not."
This story takes place in the late 1800's behind the tents of a circus with two amazing magicians / illusionist in a challenge.  This challenge has rules but the two competitors have no idea what they are or when the challenge starts or stops as well as who their opponent is.  They just know they both have been preparing for it all of their lives.
I love this book.  Erin Morgenstern is a fierce writer who uses words like an architect building a complete universes with unique characters in them.  The circus alone is so well imagined and creatively filled the reader can only wish it was a real place.  She used all the senses and left nothing out.  It smells like caramel.  Not the book but the circus.  Warm caramel.
Celia is a young child in the beginning of the book who builds her natural abilities as an illusionist to surpass the imagination of her audiences night after night as well as the reader.  I love her party dress that changes colors to match the person she stands close to.  How creative is that? 
This story has the elements of a childs fantasy mixed with the wishes and hopes of an adult tied into one.  I love this book!  Oops!  Did I say that already?  
By the way, my new book boyfriend is Marco.  Any man that can create a world where you can safely float on a sea of black ink while in a boat built of love sonnets on paper is the man for me. 
When I was reading this book (which is beautiful in page design and art) I looked up the audiobook and found out Jim Dale narrated it!  YES!!! THE JIM DALE!!!
And yes I stopped reading some of it and let Jim take the book to a whole new love.  Jim is AMAING!!!  And his voice is PERFECT for this book!  No one should try and narrate this book because Jim set the bar so high it will NEVER EVER be reached by any mere mortal.
I am so giddy about this book!  Thank you Erin for not making this into a trilogy and just leaving the book as is.  PERFECT!
There is no YA mess in this one at all.  No love triangles.  Strong females are thought out the book who don't die without a man and make stupid decisions.   
I need to stop babbling and let you read it for yourself.  I am kicking myself for not reading it sooner. Don't find yourself on the outside of the circus.

Reviews by Other Bloggers

Recommendations

I highly recommend this book to young adults and older readers due to some violence.

Challenges

This book is number 3 in my New Author Challenge
This book is number 1 in my Rewind Reading Challenge
This book is number 1 in my Historical Fiction Reading Challenge
This book is number 1 in my Off the Shelf Reading Challenge
This book is number 3 in my Goodreads Reading Challenge 
This book is number 2 in my Dusty Book Reading Challenge
This book is letter N in my Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment