My Little Pocketbooks: Review: Whodunnit -Murder in Mystery Manor   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Monday, October 14, 2013

Review: Whodunnit -Murder in Mystery Manor

Whodunnit - Murder in Mystery Manor
Author: Anthony E. Zuiker
Genre: Murder Mystery
Publisher: Audible, Inc.
Release Date:  June 21, 2013
Audiobook: 7 hours and 37 minutes
Narrator: Gildart Jackson 

Source:  Free from Audible.com
Buy the Book: Amazon
Book Description
A grand estate. Ten unsuspecting guests. A diabolical game of life and death.
A companion to the upcoming show Whodunnit? on ABC.
Ten excited guests arrive at the Westlake Estate, expecting a lavish retreat. They are the winners of a sweepstakes to "Live Like a Billionaire for a Week." But what was supposed to be a promising escape soon turns into a horrific nightmare. Within hours of arrival, the guests sit down for an extravagant dinner. When they pull their party poppers as instructed, a loud chorus of bangs resounds, followed by earsplitting screams as the guest seated at the head of the table bursts into flames and slumps to the floor. The others are told they must solve the crime or be the next victim. The killer, their diabolical host, is hiding among the frightened guests. Is the murderer the well-toned trophy wife, the retired deputy sheriff, the stoned college dropout, or perhaps the sweet, homely grandmother? The killer toys with them, inviting the guests to explore the lavish estate, from the stables to the hedge maze, in an effort to uncover the gory details of how the murderer pulled off such a gruesome murder. Alliances are forged carefully and information is shared warily, since none of the remaining guests knows whom to trust. The next to die a hideous death will be the one with the least accurate solution to the latest murder. In the end, only three guests will remain: the winner, the loser, and the killer.
Full of tricky plot twists and over-the-top schemes, Whodunnit? Murder in Mystery Manner is riveting required listening for mystery fans. Listeners are treated to an edge-of-their-seat thriller as they participate in solving the crime. It's Clue meets Ten Little Indians.

Review
Did you ever play the board game "Clue"?  Remember, Ms. Plum did it in the library with a candlestick.  LOL!  I know that was decades ago but just image having a group of ten people in a huge mansion and one of them is killing them off one by one.  Of course it is a game to the killer. The killer wants the guest to figure out not just whodunnit but how.  This book is like "Clue" but an extremely gruesome version.  The guest die in some of the most complicated and intricate ways.  This is not a simple gun shot or knifing, this story has physics and chemicals deeply involved in all the guest deaths.  
 As one guest died off, I thought I knew who the killer was.  I was 100% sure until...the end.  I was sooo 100% wrong.  LOL!  I had no idea and I didn't see it coming.  Which I loved.
I feel strange talking so positively about a book that has a step to step guide on how to kill someone but this was well written.  The story had me hooked from the beginning.  I was close to taking notes like the guest were doing so I could play along.  It was strange but I was deeply involved.  I just hated hearing the details of the deaths.  Yuck!
Gildart Jackson the narrator was born to read this book.  No one else on the planet could have read the butler and all ten guest giving them each a distinct voice.  Male and female.  Not to mention the other side characters like the maids and cops.  This was a standing ovation in narration!  BRAVO!  I had to look again to make sure it was just one person reading the book and not a cast.  He does not completely change his voice to a woman's but it's a good job and not that fake woman voice that men do.  That is like finger nails on a chalkboard to my ears.  
Excellent work!  
Try it first time audiobookers.  (Only if you have a strong stomach.)

Reviews by Other Bloggers

Recommendations
I recommend this book to adult readers due to the language and violence.

Challenges
This book is number 23 in my Audiobook Challenge
This book is number 15 in my Genre Variety Reading Challenge
This book is number 37 in my Goodreads Challenge 

Other Books in the Series
 
Linked to Horror October and Bloggers Dressed in Blood.
 BloggersDressedInBloodtest
Horror October @ Literary Excursion 
This book is a part of my R.I.P. VIII Reading Challenge.
 RIP8main300

No comments:

Post a Comment