My Little Pocketbooks: Review: Of Love and Evil   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Monday, September 16, 2013

Review: Of Love and Evil

Of Love and Evil (Book 2)
Author: Anne Rice
Genre: Historical Fiction, Paranormal
Publisher: Random House Audio
Release Date: November 30, 2010
Series: Songs of the Seraphim's
Audiobook: 5 hours and 33 minutes
Narrator: Paul Michael

Source: Overdrive e-Library
Buy the Book: Amazon
Book Description
“I dreamed a dream of angels. I saw them and heard them in a great and endless galactic night. I saw the lights that were these angels, flying here and there, in streaks of irresistible brilliance . . . I felt love around me in this vast and seamless realm of sound and light . . . And something akin to sadness swept me up and mingled my very essence with the voices who sang, because the voices were singing of me . . . ”
Thus begins Anne Rice’s lyrical, haunting new novel, a metaphysical thriller of angels and assassins that once again summons up dark and dangerous worlds set in times past. Anne Rice takes us to other realms, this time to the world of fifteenth-century Rome, a city of domes and rooftop gardens, rising towers and crosses beneath an ever-shifting layer of clouds; familiar hills and tall pines . . . of Michelangelo and Raphael, of the Holy Inquisition and of Leo X, second son of a Medici, holding forth from the papal throne . . .
And into this time, into this century, Toby O’Dare, former government assassin, is summoned by the angel Malchiah to solve a terrible crime of poisoning and to search out the truth of a haunting by an earthbound restless spirit—a diabolical dybbuk.
O’Dare soon discovers himself in the midst of dark plots and counterplots surrounded by a darker and more dangerous threat as the veil of ecclesiastical terror closes in around him.
As he embarks on a powerful journey of atonement, O’Dare is reconnected with his own past, with matters light and dark, fierce and tender, with the promise of salvation and with a deeper and richer vision of love.

Review
This is the second and I think the last book in the Songs of the Seraphim's series by Anne Rice.  The story continues from "Angel Time" (review) with Toby O'Dare working on his second mission as an angel helper for Malchiah.  As in the last book Toby is sent into the past but instead of the 13th Century he travels to the 15th Century.  
This journey for Toby was much more interesting as a mission than the last book.  This mission for him was much clearer for me and answered the question "Why Toby?"  This book gives more insight into why Toby was picked and how his special, former talent as an assassin came into play.  The first book really did not make this clear to me at all.  It just seemed like his was the lucky winner whereas this book lets Toby use his skills to help him complete the mission given to him.  That makes so much more sense to me and I found myself liking this book better.  But the storyline was tied up so easy and quick that I thought it was a short story versus the last book.  I didn't like how the mission was so easily resolved in this one unlike the other book.
I did like that a good part of this book dealt with Toby's life now, in the present and showed Toby as a real person with feelings.  There was so much more to this book than the first.  I think the first book was all build up to this book.  Honestly, the first book/mission should have been this one.
The narrator for this book Paul Michael was the same as the first book.  I think he did a wonderful job again and like I said before..."He is Toby O'Dare"  I can not think of a better narrator.  And by the way he reads the other characters with a great accent.  Love it!
The reason I gave this one only three stars is the ending.  It completely set up the reader for a third book.  There is sooo much just hanging in the air.  I am not sure but there is nothing coming next.  As of now there is not.  The first book had a better ending than this one.
One star taken away for the quick mission and one for the ending.  You know endings are a big deal to me. 

Reviews by Other Bloggers

Recommendations
I recommend this book to young adults and older due to the subject matter.

Challenges
This book is number 21 in my Audiobook Challenge
This book is number 2 in my Anne Rice Challenge
This book is number 23 in my Women's Reading Challenge
This book is number 8 in my Historical Fiction Reading Challenge
This book is number 33 in my Goodreads Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment