My Little Pocketbooks: Review: Angelology   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Monday, June 17, 2013

Review: Angelology

Angelology
Author: Danielle Trussoni 
Genre: Fiction
Publisher:  Penguin Group (USA) Incorporated
Release Date: March 9, 2010
Hardcover: 451 pages
Series: Angelology Series 

Source: I bought this book years ago from Boarder's Bookstore 
Buy the Book: Amazon
Book Description
A thrilling epic about an ancient clash reignited in our time--between a hidden society and heaven's darkest creatures There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. --Genesis 6:5
Sister Evangeline was just a girl when her father entrusted her to the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration in upstate New York. Now, at twenty-three, her discovery of a 1943 letter from the famous philanthropist Abigail Rockefeller to the late mother superior of Saint Rose Convent plunges Evangeline into a secret history that stretches back a thousand years: an ancient conflict between the Society of Angelologists and the monstrously beautiful descendants of angels and humans, the Nephilim.
For the secrets these letters guard are desperately coveted by the once-powerful Nephilim, who aim to perpetuate war, subvert the good in humanity, and dominate mankind. Generations of angelologists have devoted their lives to stopping them, and their shared mission, which Evangeline has long been destined to join, reaches from her bucolic abbey on the Hudson to the apex of insular wealth in New York, to the Montparnasse cemetery in Paris and the mountains of Bulgaria.
Rich in history, full of mesmerizing characters, and wondrously conceived, Angelology blends biblical lore, the myth of Orpheus and the Miltonic visions of Paradise Lost into a riveting tale of ordinary people engaged in a battle that will determine the fate of the world
Review
I read the back cover of this book and instantly thought Da Vinici Code kinda book.  I then did a bit of research on this book and found out it was optioned by Overbrook Entertainment. (I am not 100% on this so don't quote me.) I was so excited to read it but kept putting it down for various reasons.  Now it's years later and I have to say I was excited over nothing.  
The beginning of this books starts off pretty...ok.  The storyline of an ill mysterious man looking for something before he dies is great.  The second storyline of a young nun in a convent receiving a strange library request...not bad.  So that is it ladies and gentlemen.  The story quickly goes from there to...boring.  I fought to finish this book.  I fought yawns, I fought boredom.  I put up a good fight.  I really, really wanted to complete it to see if the excitement of Da Vinci Code ever come into play.  Spoiler Alert!  It doesn't!  There is no excitement.  Ok. There is a moment in Rockafeller Square but that's about it.
Have you ever read a book that takes place in a modern day time frame then has so many flash back and back story that you forgot it was a modern day story?  I just read one.  This one!  There is sooo much back story to the back story with the history of Angles and the back story of the nun's grandmother and her friend that you can easily get lost.   
The story has potential based off of the synopsis but I feel it needs tons of editing and a good rewrite to be a movie I would pay for.   
I had such a hard time with this book, I finally broke down and check out the audiobook from the library to help me through it.  And let me tell you...It only helped a bit.  The narrators voice was nice and I loved her French accent.  Then that is were the love stopped.  
This book was a disappointment.  By the way the ending did not help at all!  Just left you wondering..What the???
Reviews by Other Bloggers

Recommendations
I recommend this book to older teens and adults.

Challenges
This book is number 4 in my Dusty Bookshelf Challenge
This book is number 13 in my TBR Pile Reading Challenge
This book is number 19 in my Women's Reading Challenge
 This book is number 29 in my Goodreads Challenge
This book is number 12 in my Bookshelf Challenge 

Other books in the Series

No comments:

Post a Comment