My Little Pocketbooks: Review: Wonder   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Monday, May 6, 2013

Review: Wonder

Wonder
Author: R. J. Palacio
Genre: Children's Book
Publisher: Brilliance Audio
Release Date: February 14, 2012
Audiobook: 8 hours and 6 minutes
Narrator: Diana Steele, Nick Podehl, Kate Rudd

Source: Purchased from Audible.com
Buy the Book: Amazon
Book Description
I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse.
August Pullman was born with a facial deformity that, up until now, has prevented him from going to a mainstream school. Starting 5th grade at Beecher Prep, he wants nothing more than to be treated as an ordinary kid—but his new classmates can’t get past Auggie’s extraordinary face. WONDER, now a #1 New York Times bestseller and included on the Texas Bluebonnet Award master list, begins from Auggie’s point of view, but soon switches to include his classmates, his sister, her boyfriend, and others. These perspectives converge in a portrait of one community’s struggle with empathy, compassion, and acceptance.
"Wonder is the best kids' book of the year," said Emily Bazelon, senior editor at Slate.com and author of Sticks and Stones: Defeating the Culture of Bullying and Rediscovering the Power of Character and Empathy. In a world where bullying among young people is an epidemic, this is a refreshing new narrative full of heart and hope. R.J. Palacio has called her debut novel “a meditation on kindness” —indeed, every reader will come away with a greater appreciation for the simple courage of friendship. Auggie is a hero to root for, a diamond in the rough who proves that you can’t blend in when you were born to stand out.
Join the conversation: #thewonderofwonder

Review
There not a lot of books I have been completely WOW'ed by.  And I don't read that many children books too!  But this children's book WOW'ed! me.  I love every single thing about it.  The story of 5th grader Auggie who was born with a major facial deformity is told with so much care, love and tenderness that I don't know where to begin.  
There are so many real and true story lines in this book.  When a family is confronted with caring for a special needs child there are good days and completely bad days.  The author wrote this book as if she was the mother of that family.  When a child with special needs is enrolled and attends a regular school there are issues of bullying, kindness or lack of kindness among the kids and not to mention the parents of those kids.  All of those issues and so many more are addressed by the author, R.J. Palacio with nothing short of thoughtfulness.  I love how the book is told from Auggies point of view and then later you get a chance to hear the same situation from the point of view of the other kids involved.  Nothing short of PERFECT because each supporting character has so much to add to the story and they are very well written.
BRAVO! To the narrators of this audiobook.  You all did an outstanding job.
I have to say to you guys...I cried at the end of this book.  It has a great ending and I don't think it could have ended any other way.
This book should be required reading to middle school kids all over the world.
This has to be by far my most favorite book this year.
Hands Down A Five Star Read!

"I think there should be a rule, that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives" ~August from "Wonder" by R. J. Palacio

Reviews by Other Bloggers
Recommendations
I recommend this book to readers of all ages.

Challenges
This book is number 11 in my Audiobook Challenge
This book is number 20 in my Good Reads Challenge
This book is number 14 in my Women Reading Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment