My Little Pocketbooks: Review: For One More Day   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Review: For One More Day

For One More Day
Author: Mitch Albom
Genre: Fiction
Publisher: Hyperion
Release Date: October 10, 2006
Hardcover: 197 pages

Source: Bought from Border Bookstore
Buy the Book: Amazon
Book Description
This is the story of Charley, a child of divorce who is always forced to choose between his mother and his father. He grows into a man and starts a family of his own. But one fateful weekend, he leaves his mother to secretly be with his father - and she dies while he is gone. This haunts him for years. It unravels his own young family. It leads him to depression and drunkenness. One night, he decides to take his life. But somewhere between this world and the next, he encounters his mother again, in their hometown, and gets to spend one last day with her - the day he missed and always wished he'd had. He asks the questions many of us yearn to ask, the questions we never ask while our parents are alive. By the end of this magical day, Charley discovers how little he really knew about his mother, the secret of how her love saved their family, and how deeply he wants the second chance to save his own.
Review
What a message?!  WOW!  Micth Albom always has a great ability to tell a great story with out chapters and chapters of back story.  He lets the characters tell you who they are through their actions and the little glimpses of their memory.  I love that!  Mitch Albom's books are short and to the point.  There is always something you can take away from his books.  All of them!
The story of Charley Benetto aka Chick starts at the end of his career, his marriage, and his life.  When in a drunken stupor he decides to end his life, he gets one more day with his mother who died years before.  What would you do and say to some one you loved who passed away?  This story is about Chick's chance to say and do everything he missed.
Every so often in the book there are passages from a list Chick wrote called "Times My Mother Stood Up for Me." and "Times I Did Not Stand Up For My Mother."  After reading these passages, you have to ask yourself what are the times I didn't stand up for my mom?  
I think this is a perfect Mother's Day book for the children.  Not the mom's.  This book will help to show you what a mother's love really is. 
 
Reviews by Other Bloggers

Recommendations
I recommend this book to readers of all ages.

Challenges
This book is number 10 in my Off the Shelf Reading Challenge
This book is number 3 in my Dusty Bookshelf Reading Challenge
This book is number 11 in my TBR Pile Reading Challenge
This book is number 23 in my Good Reads Reading Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment