My Little Pocketbooks: Review: Daughter of Smoke and Bone   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Monday, January 14, 2013

Review: Daughter of Smoke and Bone

Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Author: Laini Taylor
Genre: YA
Publisher: Hachette Audio
Release Date: September 27, 2011
Audiobook: 12 hours and 32 minutes
Narrator: Khristine Hvam

Source: Free from Audiobooksync.com
Buy the Book: Amazon
Book Description
Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.
In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.
And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.
Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages--not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.
When one of the strangers--beautiful, haunted Akiva--fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?
Review
I have to say that one, I got this audiobook out of pure peer pressure from all the book bloggers talking about it.  I just had to see for myself what all the hype was about.  After listening to Shiver, Forever and Linger (which I did not like) I was hesitant about starting another "Hype Book".
I think this one wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.  I know that sounds awful to say but it is true.  Most YA novels have to many weak, love stricken, hopeless females characters in them for me to have any kind of connection to.
Karou, a young blue hair girl has a story that is unique and unfolds gracefully for the reader.  She finds out just enough about her family, life and the world she lives in to keep you guessing what is going to happen next.  Laini Taylor (author) writes the various characters with vivid detail that you can image them whole and complete.  I was pleasantly surprised about this book.  I found myself sitting in my car a few times just listening when I needed to jump out and get to work.
As for the audiobook narrator, Khristine Hvam, I was really impressed with her different voice and accents for each character.  But I would have like to have a cast read the various characters instead.  She did a good job but even more varied voices would have been better.
There was a section toward the end of the book that I thought was a little to detail and dragged a bit.  It slowed down the pace of the book but the unique storyline and amazing plot made up for that.  I will be checking out the second book in the series and if that one is as good as this one I will be waiting for book #3.
 Other Book in the Series

Other Bloggers Reviews
Girlxoxo
Reflections Of A Bookaholic
Books and Moives
Recommendations
I recommend this book to young adults due to the mild references to violence.
Challenges
This book is number 1 in my Audiobook Challenge
This book is number 1 in my Women Challenge
This book is number 1 in my Goodreads Challenge 
This book is number 1 in my Genre Variety Reading Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment