My Little Pocketbooks: Quicky Reviews #1   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Monday, November 19, 2012

Quicky Reviews #1

I have a few books and audiobooks I want to review before the end of the year.  They aren't going to count toward any challenges.  They are really short.  I thought a sentence or two might do and so Quicky Reviews was born.  
There are just some books you can sum up in a sentence or two!
Title:  An Old Song for Wrong Women
Author: Pablo D'Stair
Published: Blank Verse Dead 
Paperback: 12 Newsprint pages 
Source:  It just showed up in the mail but I think I won it.
Book Description:  “an old song for wrong women” is a poem by Pablo D’Stair, author of "The Choice of Dogs and other poems"
My thoughts: I don't think this is for me cause I just didn't get it.  It's a 12 page newsprint book with poems that repeat and repeat.  I didn't feel the theme and the meaning.  Maybe I should read it again.  But I just don't get it!

Title: Good Living: A Free Story from Selected Shorts: New American Stories
Author: Aleksandar Hemon

Format: Audiobook (14 minutes)
Source:  Free from Audible.com
Book Description:  New American Stories presents diverse stories of contemporary American life and dreams lost and found, by four of the best young contemporary writers....

My Thoughts:  This is an audiobook of a one man reading his short story in front of an audience.  I was in the mindset from the cover that there would be more than one but..oh well.  The story is funny at times and you can hear the audience give the polite laughter at the times the jokes were not funny.  Interesting story and could be the beginning of a good novel. 


Title:  The Importance of Being Earnest
Author:  Oscar Wilde

Format: Audiobook (1 hour 58 minutes)
Source: Free from Audible.com
Book Description:  This final play from the pen of Oscar Wilde is a stylish send-up of Victorian courtship and manners, complete with assumed names, mistaken lovers, and a lost handbag....

My Thoughts:  This is not an audiobook but the audio from the stage play.  I am glad I got to hear it.  The story is very cute and reminds me of As You Like It by William Shakespeare.  A book I Love!  I am going to make it a point to go see this one.  The cover needs work.

No comments:

Post a Comment