My Little Pocketbooks: Review: An Open Weave   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Monday, October 1, 2012

Review: An Open Weave

An Open Weave
Author: Devorah Major
Genre:  Fiction
Publisher:  Berkley
Release Date: February 1, 1997
Paperback: 256 pages

Source:  Purchased from Esowon Bookstore years ago.
Buy the Book:  Amazon

Book Description
While her family, including a psychic mother and a gifted grandmother, await the return of Imani on her seventeenth birthday, Imani supports a best friend, who has just revealed that she is pregnant.
Review
I have had this book sitting around my house for years.  I mean years.  The pages have even turned yellow in the book and the mold smell has started to take over.  But now I can say that I have read it!!  Now on to the review.
The overall synopsis of this book and the award sticker pulled me into it.  But I was sadly disappointed due to the overall story telling process the author takes the readers on.  The book is told by Imani's family members sitting around the house waiting on her to come for her birthday party.  Not just an hour or two but two days of waiting.  As the family sits around waiting, they tell stories that give the reader all the back story.  This book felt like a bunch of people sitting around the campfire telling stories about Imani. I mean all of it.  The only time there is some real action is when the reader gets a peak at what Imani is currently doing with her friend.  And when I say peak, I mean about 20% of the book.   
I love that the family is very matriarchal and each of the women have something special about them.   I would have loved to have more time with Imani and her friend. 
I think this would be a great book for high school students to read for the purpose of learning about different ways to tell a characters back story.  But overall not my cup of tea. 
Recommendations
I recommend this to teens and older.
Challenges
 This book is number 7 in my Dusty Bookshelf Challenge
This book is number 11 in my TBR Reading Challenge
This book is number 14 in my POC Reading Challenge
This book is number 41 in my Goodreads Challenge 

Did you read this book?  What did you think of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment