My Little Pocketbooks: Review: Mockingjay   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Monday, October 29, 2012

Review: Mockingjay

Mockingjay
Author:  Suzanne Collins
Genre: YA Sci-Fi, Fantasy
Publisher:  Scholastic Press
Release Date: August 24, 2010
Hardcover: 400 pages
Series:  Book 3 (The Hunger Games)

Source: I won it from Alexis @Reflections of a Bookaholic
Buy the Book: Amazon

Book Description
Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge. Who do they think should pay for the unrest? Katniss. And what's worse, President Snow has made it clear that no one else is safe either. Not Katniss's family, not her friends, not the people of District 12. Powerful and haunting, this thrilling final installment of Suzanne Collins's groundbreaking The Hunger Games trilogy promises to be one of the most talked about books of the year.
Review
It feels like years sine I read and saw The Hunger Games.  But it has only been 9 months and this book did not help.  Most of the series books I have read help the read along.  There is a little back history in this book but it was for the big stuff like the Hunger Games.  But what about all these new folks.  I completely forgot the names of the people from the Capitol.  But once I passed the third chapter I realized it really didn't matter.  All you need to know is that there are people from the Capitol helping Katniss and the people from District 13.  Yes!  I said it District 13.  In Catching Fire Katniss thought that it might exist and yes it does.  
 For some reason, I didn't like this book as much as I like the other two.  The style of writing is not as clear and I felt like I was listening to a young crazy person rant for a bit.  I wanted Katniss to be proactive as she was in the first two books but instead she just sat back, watched and let people tell her what to do.  Katniss is pretty much a puppet in this book except for the last few chapters.  
I am not going to tell you what happened but I am not happy about a this book at as much as I thought I would be.  And if you know me you know the one thing I care about the most is the ending. 
As for the ending of this book...well..I like what happens but not the way it was written in short sentences jumping into the future with no real detail on how they got there.  
I had really high hopes for this one but it's... 
Recommendations
I recommend this book to older teens and adults due to violence.
Challenges
This book is number 45 in my Goodreads Challenge
This is book 13 in my TBR Reading Challenge
Other Books in the series
 

Did you read this book?  What did you think of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment