My Little Pocketbooks: Review: Dido's Prize   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Monday, August 20, 2012

Review: Dido's Prize

 
Dido's Prize
Genre: Historical Fiction
Publisher: Parker Publishing
Paperback: 196 pages
Release Date: August 17, 2008
Source: Gift from the author
Buy the Book: Amazon

Book Description
Dido, a slave on a Jamaican sugar plantation, runs away to join Henry Morgan's privateer fleet and find the treasure that will allow her to buy her family's freedom. What she doesn't bargain on is falling in love with El Negro, a pirate captain with no particular yen for a long-lasting relationship. As Morgan sails the Spanish Main, sacking first, El Puerto del Principe in Cuba, and then the great city of Porto Bello in Panama, Dido becomes a valued member of El Negro's crew. After the ships return to Jamaica, Dido thinks she will never see the pirate captain again, but he comes to her rescue when she is in peril. They flee deep into the Blue Mountains, but El Negro knows he will never be safe on the island. Together, Dido and her pirate, head back out to sea to find a place where they can live and love in freedom.
Review
I have read many books in the Slavery Fiction genre, but this is the first book I have read about the same time period outside the US.  And what an education in a book this was.  To tell you the truth, I just never really thought about Black pirates either.  I mean the movies never seem to have any but there most have been some.  Right?!
The story of a runaway slave, Dido was an entertaining read.  The author introduced me to a strong female character that was not solely caught up with having a man come and save her.  She dressed as man, became a pirate, fought, looted and befriended other pirates.  Dido had a purpose and through her naive feelings and experience fell in love with a pirate. I love that he, El Negro was a great protector type and made sure she of her safety, even though she didn't understand that was his mindset.
After reading the book and having a book club meeting about it, what did she do about her period?  I don't know why this matters but I (and some of the ladies) was curious.  I mean the bathroom trip was explained.  Anyways...
There were a few things missing for me.  One, I would have liked to have a old world map in the beginning to help me with the where they are and where they are going.  Two, without giving anything away... I wanted to know how, what, where and when in detail they got to the end of the book.  I think that is the only part that I really missed.  Otherwise, I really liked this book.
Part 2?
Recommendation
I would recommend the book to adults due to violence and one detailed sex scene.  
Challenges
This book is number 10 in my POC Reading Challenge
This book is number 32 in my Goodreads Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment