My Little Pocketbooks: Review: Kevin's Point of View   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Monday, June 11, 2012

Review: Kevin's Point of View


Author: Del Shannon
Genre:  YA Adventure
Publisher:  Flatiron View Books
Release Date: October 26, 2010
Hardcover: 402 pages
Source: From the Author Del Shannon
Buy the Book: Amazon


Book Description
Soon after a mysterious package arrives in the mail, Kevin and his best friend are hunted down by a ruthless villain set upon world domination. The secret of Kevin's whole existence is revealed to him by an unexpected source. 
Review
First, this is my first ever book from an author for review!  Ok, now for the review.
I can't remember the last time I read an adventure book.  This book reminds me of the Classic movie "The Goonies".  I was a little reluctant to read it and I have no real reason why, but when I did I jumped into the 12-year old mind of a boy named Kevin and his BFF Tony.  
At first, I was a little confused as what was going on.  Kevin takes the reader (me) on his personal adventure and lived them out in the presence of his big sister and mom.  Like most mom's now a days she has tried everything to help him through losing his father and is worn down.  She is letting him live them all out as long as he doesn't hurt himself (or anyone else).  
Kevin and his sidekick Tony have been in and out of trouble (needless to say) so when a mysterious package shows up on Kevin's doorstep...here comes more trouble.  Real Trouble!  
As I was reading this book I felt for a 12 years old Kevin was very in touch with his reasoning, feelings, and honest with Tony about the lost of his Dad.  The characters whether big or small all helped move the story along at a break neck pace that keeps you flipping the page.  Del Shannon (author) wrote Kevin, Toby, Betsy (Kevin's Sister) and her boyfriend, Scratch so clearly that you can picture them and you feel like you know them personally.  I would have loved to see more of Kevin's mom and had her input on the craziness going on.  
At first I was on the fence about giving this top honors or the next one down and here is why.  I have a hard time with kids and violence.  Violence in all forms.  The bad guys are trying to kill Kevin and Tony.  Not Bully!  Not Scare!  But kill.  And the boys are on the run for their lives in a real way.  But then I thought about it.  Hunger Games, Sunday morning cartoons, and most Children shows have violence in them now.  And kids hear and see it more and more.  The movie Goonies and Home Alone had a bad guy trying to kill them too.  So after much thought on this I am saying to you all...I Loved This Book!  From Chapter to Chapter, page to page this book is great! 
Recommendations
I recommend this book to kids over 12 and adults.
Challenges
This book is number 20 in my Goodreads Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment